Vulcan mind-meld

Discussion in 'English Only' started by K-Young, Jan 3, 2013.

1. K-Young Member

What is "Vulcan mind-meld"? And why do you get much soap if you use it? It' s from this.

Well, I'm getting down to that little sliver of soap in my shower again. I'm going to have to make a decision pretty soon. Throw it out or try to do that Vulcan mind-meld to the next bar. If you do that with every bar, how much free soap does that come out to be at the end of your life? Does it really add up? Do you one day look around and discover you're hundreds of bars ahead of everybody else? You're throwing soap parties. Giving it away around the office. Seinlanguage
  2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    You need a quick application of original Star Trek lore, courtesy of Mr. Spock and Wikipedia.

From the Mind Melds section of that article is this:
    A "mind-meld" is a technique for sharing thoughts, experiences, memories, and knowledge with another individual. It usually requires physical contact with a subject ...

So what Jerry Seinfeld is describing is pressing the last sliver of an old soap onto a new bar of soap, i.e. melding the two into one bar of soap.

Have a read of the article ... and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't hear Vulcan mind-meld in the future. It's part of many people's vocabularies.
  3. K-Young Member

Copyright! Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I read. Still, there's one thing I don't understand. Free soap. I think free means no charge of money. But why you have much free soap, I don't understand. Or I mistake free soap...
  4. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    He's talking about saving little pieces of soap, by sticking them onto the new one he puts into the shower. And he's wondering how much soap that saves him over a lifetime, versus throwing those little pieces out.
  5. K-Young Member

Thanks, pob14. Then, what is the meaning of "free" here? Saving?
  6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    Yes, saving. The "free" soap is created by the soap slivers you save by using them -- melding them onto the new bar -- rather than throwing them away. So if you use each bar of soap down to 1/20th of its original size and rather than throwing it away you add it to the new bar of soap, then every 20 times you do that, you get a free bar of soap -- because if you had thrown them away, you would have to replace 20 of them with a bar of soap you had to pay for.
  7. velisarius Senior Member

British English (Sussex)
    If you use up all the slivers of soap in this way, in one year you maybe use 14 bars of soap instead of 16, so it is as though you got 2 free bars of soap.

The first time I saw anyone saving soap like this was in 1968 when I went to France for the first time; ​I thought it was unbelievably mean. Now I do it myself; how times change.
  8. K-Young Member

Copyright and velisarius, thank you very much. Now I understand. (And I thought everyone melds the soap sliver onto the new bar.)