1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

wa...ga and ni...ga

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by septentrionalis, Jan 21, 2013.

1. septentrionalis Junior Member

russian русский
    Hello.
    I have trouble inderstanding why the autor of the following sentence would use both grammatical constructions wa...ga and ni...ga in the same phrase.
    Could you please explain me why we need the 建物に part here even though we alredy have 構造は, which indicates clearly the location of both 門 and エレベーターと階段?

老人と香田が言ったように、高い塀をめぐらした構造は、門が大通りに面して一つしかなく、建物にエレベーターが二つと階段が一つある。

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. blutorange2 Junior Member

Saxony
    German
    Consider the following, perfectly natural English sentence, taken from the English wikipedia:

The structure consists of only a single gate to the east and a central building with two adjoining wings on the west (outer) side, one to the north and one to the south.

Why not

The structure consists of only a single gate to the east and two adjoining wings on the west (outer) side, one to the north and one to the south.

???

3. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Two sentences are jointed: 高い塀をめぐらした構造は、門が大通りに面して一つしかなく、建物にエレベーターが二つと階段が一つある。
                         ~~~~~~~~~~ Set 1  ~~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~ Set 2 ~~~~~~~~

In Set 1, the subject is 門. In Set 2, the subject is エレベーターと階段. Okay?? Here we go.

In the structure (of the building) surrounding the high fence, the gate is....
    There are two lifts and one stairway in the building.

How are 構造は and 建物に working in it?
    においては sometimes gets は (not a good thing, though). は in your case, I think this is においては.
    建物に?This must strictly be 建物には in your case, I think.
    According to my horrible Russian, this に(には) may be similar to Russian 'у мея'. I still remember you say in Russian 'For me, there is a dog', which is much closer to our way, (私には)犬がいます, more than to say in English 'I have a dog', don't you? (If not, I'm sorry. Correct my Russian.) But these two particles in your case seemed to make you confused.

For reference, we have talked about particle に at another thread by detewe89 'コーヒー は 飲む'.