1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Walk it off

Discussion in 'English Only' started by n2009, May 7, 2009.

1. n2009 Senior Member

Arabic
    What does "walk it off'" mean ?

"Walk it off (headline)
    they decided to walk rather than ride their bikes up a hill."

2. xxxNEROxxx Junior Member

Chicago, IL, US
    American-English
    To walk it off, is kind of a slang (sort of slang) expression in American English which means , for example, if someone is playing a sport, like soccer, or baseball, and they get hurt in some minor way. Then the coach may say to them , for example, "walk it off". Which means for the person to just wait a few minutes and the pain will go away, basically, because it is not a serious injury. That is my understanding of that phrase.

3. JayGatz New Member

English - US
    While your example (from a newspaper I supposed) was a failed attempt at being witty, the phrase is usually understood as "working through a minor injury or setback"

more specifically, if I was playing a sport, and received a minor injury, the coach might pull me out of the game and tell me to "walk it off". The original context was quite literal, to walk up and down the sideline, stretching the injury to get over the initial pain. Once I was recovered enough to play, the coach might put me back in the game.

In general use it means to work through any setback. If I had three tests in a row, and did poorly on the first one, a friend might tell me to "walk it off" meaning to put the first test behind me, and to not let it affect my future performance.

So with all that in mind, the original quote just doesn't work in my eyes. I think it was supposed to be a play on people recognizing the phrase, and then having an article about walking, but the two don't relate at all. They were attempting a headline people would find funny, and failed.

4. n2009 Senior Member

Arabic
    So in this context : they decided to walk instead of riding their bikes up a hill, because they are tired(resting)
    Thanks.

5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    "Walk [something] off" doesn't usually imply someone is tired, n2009.

Can you give us some more context? In particular, the sentences (up to a maximum of three) which follow the headline?

It would be useful to know the source, too - and what else is being described in the article....

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This really does not make sense, even taking into account the explanations already given.

Can you quote more of the text following the headline (up to three sentences)?
    Can you post a link to the article?

7. n2009 Senior Member

Arabic
    It was a comment on a picture on a website. Sorry, I posted before reading JayGatz post.
    Thanks all.

8. JayGatz New Member

English - US
    While I hope we get a link, I think this is a case of failed witticism.

Specifically, I see these a lot as "pictures with funny captions" in newspapers.

an examples:

Caption: "Hat Trick!"
    Picture: Magician doing a trick with a hat
    subtext: "Yesterday there was a free magic show in the park"
    why it's "witty": "Hat Trick" is usually a sports term from hockey. using it out of its normal use is "witty"

You see these all the time. Find picture of something, caption with completely unrelated phrase or idiom, assume result is witty. Poor journalism in my mind.

*edit*
    Bingo! Thought that would be the answer...I really hate those things!

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Can you post a link to the website?
    If you want an explanation of this comment you need to give us as much information as you can.
    CLICK

There is no suggestion of injury, and no suggestion of a meal - either of which one might "walk off".
    It appears to be a meaningless heading - which is entirely consistent with the context - and Jay's explanation.

10. n2009 Senior Member

Arabic
    Ok, thank you all for your help.

11. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    N2009, now I'm feeling frustrated because I really don't understand what "walk it off" means in your example.

I'm not sure why you're thanking us, because I don't think - in the absence of more context - we've been able to answer your question:(

12. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    See post #9 for a link to the source.
    It doesn't help much ... at all.

13. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    The link doesn't work for me, panj. Or rather, it works, but it doesn't lead me to anything resembling "walk it off".

Time for me to bow out, I think;)

14. n2009 Senior Member

Arabic
    I thought that was the explanation.

15. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Doesn't it lead you to a picture with the caption "Walk it off" and the text "Reese and Naomi decided to walk rather than ride their bikes up a hill,"?

16. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    The previous picture has a comment that Reese has a bag in his basket to keep them supplied. In an earlier picture, the caption speculated that the bag might contain snacks.

The best sense I can make of it is that they are "walking off" the food that is presumably in the bag, but which we didn't see them eat.

The whole series describes this as a romantic interlude. The other possibility is that they are "walking off" their ardor. (Someone's mother is with them.)

However, I would not argue strongly against those who doubt the captions make much sense.

17. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I've looked again - and yes it does.

I can only suppose the implication is that Reese and Naomi are walking up the hill to lose weight/get rid of a hangover - both of which are rather silly. Jay's right: it's poor journalism.

Sorry for being slow:(