ward vs. precinct

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by LaMoon, Sep 6, 2008.

1. I would like to know what the difference is between ward and precinct referring to some kind of divisions within a city that assign registered voters a location to go vote on election day:

" Your street address is part of a ward and a precinct within the city of Boston. Once you have registered to vote, you will receive a confirmation letter..."

Thank you very much!

2. MissIngalls Senior Member

USA
    English-USA
    I'm not going to guarantee that it's the same throughout the U.S., but I know that a ward is a fairly large district within a city, and I believe that a precinct is the smallest division for voting purposes. (Here in Philadelphia, we call them wards and divisions.) Your precinct/division determines where your polling place is (in other words, where you go to vote); sometimes, if a polling place is large enough, several precincts/divisions may all vote in the same location.

3. Thank you very much. Does anybody know if there is a translation for each of these 2 different terms, or should I just translate it as "distrito" for both?