warning symbols

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by GavinW, May 7, 2013.

1. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    There seem to be two symbols in the list of emoticons to warn of potentially offensive words: :warning: and :warn:, although I note that the latter of these is more commonly used. I'm worried that having 2 competing symbols could cause confusion. Or have I misunderstood something?

Cheers,
    Gavin

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Hi Gavin,

Please have a look at the En-It guidelines :)

We suggest that people should only use the warning :warn: (you can also use two warnings :warn: :warn: if you believe the word you're flagging is extremely offensive).

3. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    Thanks Paul, but I already knew all that. What I want to know is why is there the other version of the symbol? If it's redundant, let's get rid of it. It's confusing. Or at least it could confuse people.

4. Tunalagatta Senior Member

Blighty
    English - England
    I think there was another thread about this once. Riveting stuff as you can imagine. I believe Mike answered somewhere along the lines of, "It's too fiddly to get rid of it," if I'm not mistaken, but :warning: I may be wrong.

To be honest, among all the potentially confusing things on here, it isn't really all that bad, in my opinion.

5. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית
    I must admit that I don't understand what confusion they could cause :confused:

Both are yellow, both have exclamation mark, and both are used to mark offensive words. The only difference is that one of them is a triangle and the other is round.
    What is the difference between:
    :warn: %^(##&^%!!!
    and
    :warning: %^(##&^%!!!
    ?

6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Perhaps this is the thread you were thinking of, Tuna?

(I don't think I've ever used either symbol, myself:). But I can't see that it's confusing to have two options....)

7. Tunalagatta Senior Member

Blighty
    English - England
    Yes that's it, Loob. As you can see, much fun was had by all (though various people apparently got banned in the process), but in the end, nothing was done as it evidently disrupts the smiley space-time continuum, which I'm really glad to know exists.