Watashi no namae wa

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by hirano, Nov 16, 2013.

1. hirano New Member

Filipino
    Hi guys! I'm a beginner in Japanese language and since it's a requirement in my degree program to have units of foreign language, I took Japanese.

I am just starting to learn and I am confused on how the Japanese pattern translates into English?

For example,

I know it means, My name is Rei but is it the same as Rei is my name?

Another one is,

It means My wife is Sakura-san but it is the same as Sakura-san is my wife?

Is it correct to say,

I've also read in Genki that Japanese pattern tends to put the topic at the end of the sentence.

2. YangMuye

YangMuye Senior Member

Do you mean you want to know if it is correct to say:
    watasino namaewa reidesu.
    Reiwa watasino namaedesu.
    Sakurasanwa oreno yome.
    oreno yomewa sakurasandesu.

All I can tell is that all these sentences are grammatical, except for that the last one is not idiomatic.

Although it doesn't often change any "logical" meanings, the word order plays an important grammatical role in languages like English and Chinese, and also in Japanese.

To express the same thing, one language may prefer a word order while another language prefers a different one or even uses different grammatical construction.

I can't simply say whether they are the same or not. It actually depends on the context and what you want to convey.

Why do you want to swap the two parts of the sentences?

E.g. "My name is rei" is used when you introduce yourself. When will you say "rei is my name"?
    Besides, I think "... wa oreno yome" is often, well, a fixed pattern, which is hard to translated into other languages. You can replace the ... part with the name of some "moe character".

3. YukFuji Junior Member

Kobe, Japan
    Japanese
    Hello, Hirano-san. Glad to hear you learn Japanese.
    Well, the place you put a word make some difference when we hear the sentences.
    "Watashi no namae wa Rei desu" sounds naturally, but when you want to say "Rei is my name",
    it is natural to say "Rei ga watashi no namae desu."
    In general, a word used as a subject in an English sentence will be a subject in an Japanese sentence.
    Of course, it sometimes changes the grammatical position of a word.
    In the same manner, "Sakura-san wa Ore no yome." sounds like "Sakura-san is my wife."
    "My wife is Sakura-san." will be "Ore no yome wa Sakura-san (desu)."
    By the way, "Ore" is very informal way to use, and it is used in the conversation between friends or those very close to each other.

4. hirano New Member

Filipino
    Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it. :)

It came to me that there are some exceptions to the rules and I've just learned that Japanese uses S-O-V (subject-object-verb) pattern. So, there. XD