1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Watch closely his hands and fingers..

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by secretlife, Jan 4, 2014.

1. secretlife

secretlife Senior Member

North West England
    British English
    I am describing a magician - I want to tell people to watch closely his hands and fingers (because they might reveal something of the trick) but I am not sure of the correct verb for "watch closely"
    I thought of "passen Sie gut auf die seine Hände und seine Finger but I think perhaps that is inappropriate? Would Beobachten Sie ... be suitable? Or achten Sie auf....
    Thank you for your help.

2. Sowka

Sowka Forera und Moderatorin

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello secretlife :)

I think in this situation I would say: "Achten Sie besonders auf seine Hände / auf die Bewegungen seiner Hände".
    (To me, mentioning the hands as well as the fingers sounds a little awkward, but you could say: "... auf seine Hände und Finger" / "... auf die Bewegungen seiner Hände und Finger".)

Another suggestion: "Verfolgen Sie die Bewegungen seiner Hände genau".

"Aufpassen" does not fit well in this context. To children, you could say something like: "Passt (genau) auf, was er mit seinen Händen macht...", but in my opinion, anything like this would clash with the form of address "Sie".

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  3. secretlife

secretlife Senior Member

North West England
    British English
    Ah! Thankyou:)

4. bearded man

bearded man Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    Hello
    I would like to concentrate on that adverb 'closely'. Is it correct in the English context, and does it mean 'from a short distance', or can 'closely' also mean 'attentively'? Spectators of a show usually cannot move from their seats to get closer to the performer, after all. So is it 'aus einer kurzen Entfernung' or just 'aufmerksam' ?

5. secretlife

secretlife Senior Member

North West England
    British English
    I mean attentively - aufmerksam.