Watch closely his hands and fingers..

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by secretlife, Jan 4, 2014.

1. secretlife

secretlife Senior Member

North West England
    British English
    I am describing a magician - I want to tell people to watch closely his hands and fingers (because they might reveal something of the trick) but I am not sure of the correct verb for "watch closely"
    I thought of "passen Sie gut auf die seine Hände und seine Finger but I think perhaps that is inappropriate? Would Beobachten Sie ... be suitable? Or achten Sie auf....
    Thank you for your help.

2. Sowka

Sowka Forera und (Moderatorin in den Deutsch-Foren)

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello secretlife :)

I think in this situation I would say: "Achten Sie besonders auf seine Hände / auf die Bewegungen seiner Hände".
    (To me, mentioning the hands as well as the fingers sounds a little awkward, but you could say: "... auf seine Hände und Finger" / "... auf die Bewegungen seiner Hände und Finger".)

Another suggestion: "Verfolgen Sie die Bewegungen seiner Hände genau".

"Aufpassen" does not fit well in this context. To children, you could say something like: "Passt (genau) auf, was er mit seinen Händen macht...", but in my opinion, anything like this would clash with the form of address "Sie".

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  3. secretlife

secretlife Senior Member

North West England
    British English
    Ah! Thankyou:)

4. bearded man

bearded man Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Hello
    I would like to concentrate on that adverb 'closely'. Is it correct in the English context, and does it mean 'from a short distance', or can 'closely' also mean 'attentively'? Spectators of a show usually cannot move from their seats to get closer to the performer, after all. So is it 'aus einer kurzen Entfernung' or just 'aufmerksam' ?

5. secretlife

secretlife Senior Member

North West England
    British English
    I mean attentively - aufmerksam.