1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Water over the mill

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by LilianaB, Jan 11, 2012.

1. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Do you have idioms similar to a Polish one, water over the mill, in a literal translation, or something similar to this image in your language?

2. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi Liliana,

In Greek we say «ρίχνω νερό στο μύλο του» /'rixno ne'ro sto 'milo tu/, which lit. means "to pour water over his mill".
    One pours water over someone's mill, when his/her actions benefit his/her adversary

3. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    What does this saying mean, Liliana?

4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I am very sorry, Sound Shift, but I do not know exactly. I think it means something similar to the meaning of the Greek idiom, as explained by Apmoy. To give the adversary ammunition.

5. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Thanks, Liliana. In that case it would appear to be similar to the English "It's (all) grist to his/her/X's mill".

6. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

voda na něčí mlýn = lit. water onto someone's mill;

Řecká krise je voda na mlýn euroskeptikům. (The Greek crisis is water onto eurosceptics' mill.)

7. Csalrais

Csalrais Senior Member

Tenerife
    Spanish - Spain
    Spanish has an equivalent to that idiom but is rarely heard today

"Llevar/echar agua al molino de otro", lit. carry/pour water over someone else's mill.

8. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: "koren op de molen" [corn on the mill],which means quite the same as what Apmoy points out. Not 'water' though, which would be more logical as it is the water flowing that causes the watermill to work...

9. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: "koren op de molen" [corn on the mill],which means quite the same as what Apmoy points out. Not 'water' though, which would be more logical as it is the water flowing that causes the watermill to work...

10. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Hungarian:

malmára hajtja a vizet - pushes/propels the water on the mill (of somebody)

11. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    The only thing I can think of that involves mills in Portuguese is águas passadas não movem moinhos, literally: passed waters do not move mills, that is, things that happened in the past have no effect in the present. Therefore, this is off-topic. :D

12. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    German:

Wasser auf seine Mühle