"We are done"... " We have been done"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by roniy, Jan 1, 2006.

1. roniy Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    I have been watching a movie and I have heard these sentences in a conversation :

A: " We are done"

B: " We have been done"

What is the second sentense said for ?????

Thanks.

2. JLanguage Senior Member

Georgia, US
    USA: American English, Learning Hebrew and Spanish
    A - We're done - action was completed not too long before the statement.
    B - We've been done - action was completed quite a bit earlier than the time of the statement.

Ex. 1. We've been done with the project for 3 months.
    2. We're done with the project.

3. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    We are done: we are, at this moment in time, finished (with something). We are done counting sheep, and are now asleep.

We have been done: Starting at some unspecified time in the past, and continuing to this moment, we are finished with something. Since/as of yesterday night, we are done waiting for him to arrive. We have been (were, and still are) assuming that he got lost and will not arrive this week.

4. river Senior Member

U.S. English
  5. James Stephens Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    English, USA
    "Done" in this context is used either for emphasis or humor or it is used a dialectual variation of standard English. The standard useage "is finished" and "have been finished."

6. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Since roniy heard it in a movie couldn't it also be we've been done meaning we've been ripped off?

Carlo

7. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Mr. Stephens is correct in his reference to "done" as having an informal meaning of 'done in', or 'screwed' or something in that
    direction. I've never heard or seen it used in that sense with "have been".

Are you done yet?
    Yes, and we have been done since noon.

That dialogue just doesn't work at all with the sense of done in, but it might be sarcastic.

8. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    I can answer that most emphatically. Maybe.;)
    It's not a common AE usage, and I cannot speak for BE or other noble varieties.

"To do" in some AE slang, means to kill. I'm not familiar with it as a synonym for 'to rob'.

9. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    The Longman Dictionary labels do(=cheat) as esp BrE though, oddly enough, the Cambridge Dictionary gives an example containing the word bucks:

Fifty bucks for that old bike! You've been done!

Certainly this possible meaning of the sentence doesn't make sense as a response to We are done. I wonder if ronyi can remember the context in which this conversation took place.

10. James Stephens Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    English, USA
    That slang useage is delicious. As far I can tell, been done and been had have roots in a sexual reference: she did the whole football team; the whole team has had her. If that is so, then we're done = we're f*cked and have been done = have been f*cked. They both seem very likely in that context.

By the way, I have been given more credit than I am due. I was not thinking of this meaning when I said emphasis or humor.

11. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Thank you Mr. Stephens. It all sounds totally logical and plausible "in the context of an action movie."

Now that we are done agreeing, please note that the first post in this thread does not contain the word "action".

You may still be absolutely correct, but we shall need some help from Roniy to establish that.

12. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "We've been done!"
    I have just now discovered that somehow or other the bad guys have pulled a fast one on us and have managed to cheat us out of ....(something or other) ... although we were convinced we were smarter than they were.

Done = cheated, outwitted, outsmarted, swindled, robbed ... and very often meaning that they were more cunning and devious in their illicit plans than we were.

It sounds to me like one of those phrases beloved of black-and-white English movies.

13. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Oh, now I understand what we're talking about. I'm about as quick as 3 minute grits. "We've been done" = "we've been had' or "we've been taken" "we've been duped."

14. roxy_gurl Senior Member

canada, english
    I have never heard we have been done, but we are done means that it is over or finished/ we don't belong together. Or it could mean we just finished something (ex. we are done are homework).

hope i helped