"We are open" or "opened"?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by damager, Mar 29, 2012.

1. damager New Member

Russian
    Got into a dispute how to say "We are open" or "opened".

And why, in this case "open" without the "`ed".
    How do you explain this using the grammatic terms and rules, but not at the level of personal opinion and conjecture? What parts of speech these words are?
    The teacher managed to say that we may also use "opened" with respect to "we are open"." I think that this is not correct. always used "open".

2. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    If the speaker is a shopkeeper, he/she will say "We are open from eight until six", not "We are opened ...."
    "We are opened" makes no sense here: it is the passive form of "Someone opens us".

3. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I assume this is in describing a store or something similar.

"We" is a (pro)noun. It is described by an adjective. "Open" is an adjective. "Opened" is not. Therefore, "We are open" is correct, but "we are opened" is not correct.

"Opened" is, however, a verb. You can say "We opened" or "We have opened."

4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Open is an adjective, not a verb.

Compare: "We are tall."

"We are opened." (I assume you mean a business/shop) is simply incorrect and meaningless.

"Tell me what is in the boxes when they are opened." are opened is the passive for of the verb to open.

5. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    "Opened" can be used as an adjective, but then it means wounded, cut open. E.g. I looked at his leg, opened from knee to ankle by jagged glass.

A rare usage and not what you want here, I think!

6. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    There is some discussion in other threads (search open closed in the search box). Open seems to be an unusual word in that it functions as an adjective and a verb but its past participle is not the corresponding adjective. Often the past participle of a verb can be used as an adjective. However, in this case, it is not - "The door is open." But "The door is closed" (not "The door is close") , "The computer is broken" (not "The computer is break") etc. It would be an unusual situation (for me) to see "opened" used as an adjective in preference to "open".

7. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
  8. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    What if I change the sentence a little?

"Our shop is newly open/opened."

Should I use open or opened? It seems to me both are correct.

Our shop is newly open. (Be + adjective)
    Our shop is newly opened. (Passive voice)

9. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Our shop is newly opened. We just started doing business recently (perhaps within the last month). Our shop is new.
    Our shop is newly open. :confused:

10. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    Why is "newly open" not okay? From my understanding, "open" can be an adjective?

11. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    It's grammatically correct (possessive pronoun, noun, verb, adverb, adjective), however, I don't have any idea what it means. If you are open every day, what's new about the open-ness of your shop today?

12. Miss Julie

Miss Julie Senior Member

Chicago metro area
    English-U.S.
    When I see a new shop being built, I'll often see a sign that says "Coming Soon".

When the shop opens for business, the sign often changes to "Now Open".

13. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    Can we interpret "newly open" as "newly available for public use"?

14. Miss Julie

Miss Julie Senior Member

Chicago metro area
    English-U.S.
    "Newly open" is simply not a phrase we'd use in the U.S.

And "newly available for public use" would be better expressed as open to the public.

15. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    Thanks Myridon and Miss Julie. I know you are correct, but I'm struggling to understand why it is wrong. If I understand it, I will be able to explain to my son. :)

16. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Hullo.

"Our shop is newly opened. (Passive voice)"
    . I'm afraid not, Edison.
    A possible candidate for the passive form would be "Our shop has been newly ( = recently) opened.

GS :)

17. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    Isn't "has been newly opened" also passive voice?

18. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    "The shop is open." is grammatically ambiguous. It could mean "The shop is open tight now. It opened this morning and will close tonight." or "The shop started doing business some time ago and is still in business. It is open several days every week." However, the first one is the one that we will think you mean 93.27% of the time. We say something else for the second meaning. You are trying to force us to use the second meaning for your sentence "The shop is newly open". It confuses us. We don't like it.
    We don't say it that way. There is no real reason other than that. It is not due to some rule of grammar. It is just because we say one thing instead of another.

19. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Yes, Edison: that's what I said.

In order to use "Our shop is opened" as a passive we should imagine a corresponding active, such as "Jack opens our shop (every morning at 0800).
    Then the passive might reasonably be "Our shop is ( = gets) openED by Jack (every morning at 0800).
    Without any mention of an agent (and/or some other circumstantial info) "Our shop is opened" doesn't mean anything or, at best, is ambiguous.

GS :)