1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

We carried out a careful

Discussion in 'English Only' started by fire fly, Jul 7, 2009.

1. fire fly Senior Member

Saigon, Viet Nam
    vietnamese
    We carried out a careful ______ of the area.
    A. education B. preparation C. calculation D. examination
    I choose “D. examination” but the answer is “B. preparation”. I don’t know why. Thanks in advance

2. Meeracat Senior Member

Hi fire fly, Once again you seem to be put in the position of answering an unfair question. It seems to me that both 'examination' and 'preparation' could be correct, but without a context it is impossible to know. I must confess that if I was given that sentence without a context I would, like you, have gone for 'examination'.

3. MichaelW Senior Member

English (British)
    +1

I would have gone for "examination" as well.

4. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I would go even farther and say that "carry out a careful preparation" is not idiomatic.

Are these questions absolutely stand-alone?

5. Meeracat Senior Member

Perhaps there is a subtle clue in the word 'careful'. Is 'careful' more likely to be used with 'preparation' while 'thouroughly' more likely to be associated with 'examination'?

Again, context is everything. However the sentence might be hinting at something in the direction I suggest. It is still unfair though.

edit: Just read Nunty's post. It doesn't sound idiomatic does it?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Agree.
    Examination is generally countable; a careful examination is natural English.
    Preparation, in this sense, is not countable; a careful preparation is not natural English.

More, although it is entirely natural to carry out an examination, it sounds very odd to say carry out a preparation.

7. fire fly Senior Member

Saigon, Viet Nam
    vietnamese
    I got it. Thanks all of you

8. TropicalMontana Senior Member

American English

I agree. I would have chosen 'examination' as well.