We did this for the show

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Hyperpolyglot, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Hyperpolyglot Senior Member

First of all, this thread title should be "We did this for the show" I can't edit the title.
    This is about the Balloon Boy accident hoax, the boy said:"You guys said that, um, we did this for the show."
    On the wikipedia page, somebody translate this to "你们说过,我们这么做是在演一场戏"
    I think this is a bad translation with inaccurate context, it's as if the boy said that his family is acting on a show, not did it for the show.
    So my translation would be "你们说过,我们是为了节目才做。" Or with more context "你们说过,我们是为了电视节目才做。" So I just edited it to my version on wikipedia.
    What do you think?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I think you may be right~
    Although I don't know weather "the show" (节目) indicates exactly "the TV show" (电视节目).
    Without a good understanding of the hoax (I don't know about the hoax), I'll just translate it as "我们这么做是为了表演".
  3. ridgemao Senior Member

Mandarin Chinese
    You shouldn't say "才做" only, you can say "我们是为了电视节目才做这些事情" or "我们是为了电视节目才这么做"
  4. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Mandarin 國語
    That is also the translation used by most of the Chinese media (e.g., http://www.022net.com/2009/10-19/495161293137910.html).
    电视节目 (TV program) is too specific. There was some ambiguity to the boy's response as to whether "the show" was the video footage being shot by his 10-year-old brother. I would stay true to the ambiguity and avoid context-specific translations like 是在演一场戏 or 为了电视节目才做.