1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

We have just eaten the main course some minutes ago

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vaneg_09, May 3, 2013.

1. vaneg_09 New Member

Spanish
    Hi! I'd like to know if this sentence is grammatically correct "We have just eaten the main course some minutes ago". I know ago is used with the simple past but I have to use the present perfect with just, and I want to emphasize it happened a few minutes before.
    Thanks in advance

2. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Hello vaneg. As per the rules, we will need some source and context for this excerpt in order to better help you.

3. vaneg_09 New Member

Spanish
    It's just a grammar exercise to complete with present perfect and adverbs. The sentence says:

* We _______ _________ ________ (eat) the main course some minutes ago but we _________ ________ (choose) the dessert __________.

Am I clear?

4. Gabbro Junior Member

Canada
    Canadian English
    Under your conditions --- "We have just eaten the main course some minutes ago but we have chosen the dessert first." --- is present perfect. It's definitely not something you'll hear people saying though.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  5. Cagey non modo mod

California
    English - US
    How are you completing the sentence?

Meanwhile, you might look at:
    <present perfect> + <... ago>
    The relevant discussion is at the beginning and post #5 links to other useful threads. After that, the thread is less relevant to your question.

(A side comment: The exercise itself seems to me a torturous exercise in mind-reading. You have my sympathy.)