We have submitted / we have not submitted

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Agnus dei, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Agnus dei Junior Member

Montreal
    French - Canada
    Hello,

I work at the bid department, and in our cover letters, we always use the same letter template, which was written by a French speaking person. These letters are supposed to be formal, as they are presented with the bid package, but I feel that the underlined wording could be better... I am also a French speaking person and I am not sure how to improve it :S

We have submitted our best pricing proposal in reference to the residence furniture. We have not submitted a proposal for some of the items. You will find included our detailed specifications per item to support our proposal. Prices shown are valid for a period of 60 days.

I thought of : We have submitted our best pricing proposal in reference to the residence furniture, however we did not bid on certain items.

But does the idiom we did not bid sound too informal?

If anyone has a better idea, even on the rest of the contents, ideas a are more than welcome! :)

2. manon33 Senior Member

English - England (Yorkshire)
    The phrases in pink sound alright to me. If you were keen to achieve greater formality you could I suppose say 'bids have not been submitted on some items' once you had made the context clear (i.e. who was doing the bidding).

3. Agnus dei Junior Member

Montreal
    French - Canada
    I just thought that we have submitted our best pricing (...) We have not submitted (a proposal...) the repetition sounds awkward...

4. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    Not too informal. In fact, I think your rewording is an improvement on the original.

5. Agnus dei Junior Member

Montreal
    French - Canada
    Thanks a bunch! that was helpful! :thumbsup:

6. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Personally I like the parallelism of the original. Any of the versions are fine, though.

7. Agnus dei Junior Member

Montreal
    French - Canada
    I forgot to mention that we are selling case goods and that we send proposals in response to Requests For Proposals.
    Would there be a more appropriate idiom than bid? In my research, bid seems to be used in a buying context...

8. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    What about:
    however we did not make an offer on certain items. OR
    however we did not make a price offer on certain items.

9. whynottail Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    What about-

...however we did not offer/make a bid/tender for certain items.

...however we did not bid/tender for certain items.