1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

We will pick you up at the airport

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by alicealive, Jul 3, 2006.

1. alicealive Senior Member

English/Ireland
    Hi, I'm beginning to learn Italian, and I'm trying to write something
    to my Italian friend...I know there are terrrrible mistakes, so any suggestions are welcome!!

Sono molto felice, perche gli esame finalmente finito!!!!!
    Tutti bene, finito la tutti materia senza problemi, penso hanno no problemi per entra la universita.
    Perche prima di il mio esame, io sono molto preoccupato, avevo paura di non poter entrare al l'università che volevo,
    ma il Dio "gave"aiuta da me.
    A Giappone, io uso lo stesso e-mail indirizzo, cosi no problema per communicazione quando loro rimanare a li.
    Noi partire a la giovedi,
    "We will pick you(plural) up at the airport"

2. die Senior Member

Veneto
    Italy
    Sono molto felice perchè gli esami/l'esame è finalmente finito/sono finalmente finiti!!!!
    Sono andati bene, fo fatto tutte le materia senza problemi, penso non ci siano problemi per entrare all'università.
    Prima dell'esame ero molto preoccupata, avevo paura di non riuscire ad entrare all'università che volevo, ma Dio mi ha aiutato.
    IN Giappone uso lo stesso indirizzo e-mail, così non ci sono problemi di comunicazione per quando state lì. Partiamo giovedì. Veniamo a prendervi all'aeroporto
    (Maybe it's better if you write the English text becouse I didn't undestand some parts of it, anyway I hope it helps)

3. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    I'm sorry but the sentence about Japan is a bit clumsy. Can you please tell us what you wanted to say.
    I hope this helps.

EDIT: Sorry Die

4. alicealive Senior Member

English/Ireland
    Sorry, I meant that when I am in Japan I will use the same email address, so there will be no communication problems while we are there.

Thank you so much!

5. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    Quando sono in Giappone, userò lo stesso indirizzo e-mail, così non ci saranno problemi per comunicare.

Seems to me as if the "...while we are there" is a bit repetitive, plus I don't know who "we" is. Did you mean "I" again? I guess you could say, "...mentre ci siamo."

Brian

6. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    Saoul (or whoever else :)),

Perhaps you can help me with this:

I learned prendere as "to take," but I've also learned to be very cautious with this English translation. I've also been known to have consistent trouble with the Italian preposition a.

Without caution, at first glance, I might translate this as:

We will come to take you to the airport.

But I suppose if you wanted to say this in Italian, however, it'd have to be:

Verremo a portarvi all'aereoporto.

Correct? Portare instead of prendere. And in this sense, a means "to," right?

Now, as for the a in your sentence, it would have to mean something like "at": We will come to take you at the airport = At the airport is where we will come to take you (from). Correct?

Could you instead say: Verremo a prendervi dall'aereoporto = We will come to take you from the airport = We will pick you up from the airport

I guess my question is, in English you get the same meaning whether you use "at" or "from"...does it work the same in Italian?

Brian

7. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    Brian I had to read the post a couple of times, since to take and prepositions in English are as much of an issue for me, as their Italian translation is for you.

Having said this, if I got exactly your question, my answer would be: no, it doesn't work like this in Italian. (At least in this case)

Vi verremo a prendere all'aereoporto.
    You arrive at the airport, and we will come and pick you up, there.

Vi verremo a prendere dall'aereoporto.
    We arrive at the airport, we start from there, and we pick you up home, to go somewhere else (this is crazy I know, this situation is unlikely, but that's the sense of the sentence).

I don't know if this is of any help... anzi!

EDIT: TYPOS

8. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    I'm starting to confuse myself...I just wrote another paragraph hoping to explain the difference between at and from in this case, but the more I think about it, the more I think they are interchangeable in this case:

We will pick you up at the airport = We will pick you up from the airport = We will come to the airport, and there (at the airport) is where we will pick you up.

They are more or less the same. Here is a scenario in which they are different, and not interchangeable:

We will see you at the airport = We will come to the airport, and there (at the airport) is where we will see you.

In Italian, would this be: Vi vedremo all'aereoporto. Correct?

We will take you from the airport to your house = We will come to the airport, pick you up there (at the airport), take you away from the airport, and bring you to your house.

In Italian: Vi prenderemo dall'aereoporto alla tua casa. Right? Or, Vi porteremo dall'aereoporto alla tua casa?

I don't know if this is more or less confusing!

Brian

9. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    Vi prenderemo dall'aereoporto a casa tua, means We will start from the airport, then go to your home, and there we pick you up to take you some where else.

Vi porteremo dall'aereoporto a casa, is we will give you a lift from the airport to your home.

Brian, oh my God what a hell we raised!

10. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    Haha, indeed! (minor change :D)

But I think I understand now. If I want to say that we will come to pick you up at the airport, without specifying where we will be bringing you, I say, "Verremo prendervi all'aereoporto!"; but to say that we will come to pick you up at the airport and bring you to X, I say, "Verremo portarvi dall'aereoporto a X!" Or even, "Verremo prendervi all'aereoporto e portarvi a X!" Va bene?

Brian

11. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    Ci siamo Brian, ci siamo!
    It's verremo a

12. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    Whoops...that's what I meant :cool: