Web page or webpage?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by GoranBcn, Aug 13, 2006.

1. GoranBcn Senior Member

Barcelona (Spain)
    Catalan, Spanish, Croatian/Serbian
    Web page / web site or webpage / website? Which one is correct?

2. maxiogee Banned

I would opt for website, and page of X's website.

To say that something is a web page doesn't tell one much.
  3. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    Years back, I clung to the purist's "Web site," but have long opted for the more common and less fussy "website" in company style sheets and personal use. I agree with Maxiogee--I don't use "web page" very much. But if I did, I would prefer it as two words.
  4. Moogey Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    USA English
    Both sets are correct according to a dictionary.

A website is a collection of webpages ;)

5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I agree with website, but web page doesn't seem to be needed in my world. We have pages on our website, not web pages.
  6. ScienceDay Junior Member

I strongly prefer "website" over "web site".
  7. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Old thread, but I just wanted to check current feelings on the use of 'webpage'. It's not a word I particularly like, but it's one that I use quite frequently at work. I might say, for example 'see the conference webpage'. I would use 'website' if the conference had a separate site/URL, but 'webpage' if it's a single page hosted on, for example, a university's website (which I may have already linked to as the conference organisers). The only other way to make this distinction (that I can think of) is the clumsy 'see the conference page on the University of X website' or similar.

Presuming you were reading my conference announcement without all this exposition, would I nonetheless come across as fussy/old-fashioned by using 'webpage'?
  8. mellow-yellow Senior Member

English - USA
    The complete Oxford English Dictionary (OED) defines it as follows, without any reference to "webpage" as a single word:

Draft additions March 2001

Categories »
    web page n. a hypertext document that is accessible via the World Wide Web

2000 Guardian 16 Mar. (Online Suppl.) 13/3 WebSphere Everyplace provides ‘transcoding’—translation between standard web pages written in HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) and Wap's WML (Wireless Markup Language).

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  9. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    The Google Ngram viewer is interesting: Click HERE (although it does make you wonder about the popularity of the term in 1896.)
  10. Cagey post mod

English - US
    It's a lesson in reading Google results.

The citations from this year are of this sort:
    .... or as the house spider weaves its slender web.” Page 455. (The Millennial Harbinger)

Columns in an alphabetical listing of references, the head words or which are 'web' and 'page'.
    (The American Bookseller's Complete Reference Trade List: ...)

And so on.

Google searches are useful, but you don't always know what the results represent until you check them individually.
  11. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    My authority for this choice is the weekly publication Computerworld, long considered the premier news source in information systems and technology. It is professionally edited, in my opinion edited very well. Their style choices are made by style professionals, not individual bloggers who write any way they want and fall into the trends of the moment. They use Web site, two words, the first word capitalized. So does Business Week. So do other professionally edited sources I just checked. As long as that's what they do, that's what I'll do as well. I know "website" is trendy, but that doesn't make it right. It may be right someday, but I don't think that day has arrived.

To language learners: If you're writing an e-mail to a friend, nobody will mind if you write "website." If your audience is larger and/or more professional than that, I suggest you follow the lead of major publications and write "Web site."
  12. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I must append a small caution to Egmont's advice: If you're writing for publication, it's best to inquire what style your editor prefers (if it's not apparent from the publication itself). Your publisher may or may not agree with Computerworld or Business Week.
  13. liza21 New Member

India - Hindi & English
    Web page and website is correct.
  14. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English

The 2010 edition of the style book (The Associated Press Stylebook) used by virtually all U.S. newspapers, which certainly are professionally edited, says: website.

So does Reuters (BE)
    Web, website

Capitalise Web, but website and webcast lower case.

Computer terms are not the only area where common usage by equally professional editors and usage by those deeply involved in the technology diverge.

Even Microsoft itself uses "website," at least on this page http://www.microsoft.com/web/ :)

Parla's advice is the best. Follow the whims, proclivities and even confusion of the person responsible for your continued employment. :)