1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Wedding congratulations...

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Christiano27, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Christiano27

Christiano27 Junior Member

Manchester, UK
    English
    Привет всем!

I was wondering if you could give me an accurate translation of:

Congratulations to you both and we hope you have many happy years together!

My effort:

Поздравляем вас и мы надеемся что у вас много счастливых лет вместе!

My Grandad got an email from a friend, knowing that I study Russian and asked for an accurate translation. Any further appropriate words would be welcomed!

The most Russian way of saying this would be ideal as I believe his friend has married or will marry a Russian.

Спасибо заранее,

Крис

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Better ... желаем долгих...
    Anyway, вместе makes a phrase a bit clumsy.

3. Christiano27

Manchester, UK
    English
    So what's the most natural way of translating the original phrase? With your corrections sans 'вместе'?

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Поздравляем и желаем долгих и счастливых лет совместной жизни. Sounds a bit formal, though.

5. Christiano27

Manchester, UK
    English
    Thanks, so again, what is the best way? For example, following my lead, how would you convey the same sentiment?

6. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    The best advice will no doubt come from the friendly and helpful natives on this forum, Christiano27, but you may find this site from dasign.chat.ru useful too at some stage. At the bottom of the page the содержание link will take you to other pages with all manner of useful :)rolleyes: - посудьте сами!) phrases for different situations.

I can't vouch for the quality or naturalness of the Russian, so perhaps it would be best to check with a native Russian (or this forum). For the Russian natives, unfortunately some of the English phrases are a bit iffy, but on the whole it's quite a good resource, I think.

7. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Unfortunately I cannot guess what exactly sentiment you want express, how close to the addressee is the one who is going to congratulate and so on.
    Your English phrase seems to me (although I can be wrong, of course) quite formal and not cordial, for which my version seems to me quite acceptable, but let's wait what other natives say.

8. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    I think there are so many ways to say this in a just as formal, but much more cordial mood, for example:

Поздравляем вас, желаем долгих лет в любви и согласии, и пусть счастье не покидает ваш дом!

:rolleyes: And so on… Could be better, I guess, so I'd wait also for others. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012