1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Wedgies???

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Artrella, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Hi!! Please help!! I cannot find a meaning of this word (I've found "wedge"..)
    This is the sentence:

"Most 17-year-old males are still trading cards and giving each other wedgies after gym classes"

Thank you

2. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    Hi Art! :)

A wedgie is, um...:eek: this or this. Aren't you glad you asked? :D

3. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Well, this explains why I couldn't find it in my Cambridge.. :eek: ... As usual... you are always helping me S!!! Kisses, thank you! :)

4. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
  5. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    The first illustration is misleading. As a product of the American public school system, I can attest that wedgies are given from the rear, not the front. They can be either playful or aggressive, and can descend to the level of bullying.

Who in the world had the first impulse to do such a thing? Well, consider that the part of another schoolkid's underclothing that is most likely to pop into view, and give someone the idea for such a prank-- is the elastic band in back. A kid reaches for something high in the top row of lockers, the inappropriate object comes into view, and someone tugs on it to playfully bring the embarrassing situation to his (very seldom her) attention.

Because the spontaneous, non-malicious wedgie is not seen as a cruel enough prank to get thrown out of school over, bullies adopted it as a "funny" form of tormenting other kids. Rather than just tug, a malicious bully will give a hard and sustained pull, often lifting the victim right off the ground.

I've never seen or heard of a wedgie involving the front part of the elastic band. Put your hand down the front of another kid's pants, and your gesture is likely to bring down as much derision on you as you're trying to inflict on your target.

A wedgie is also a type of shoe, but I don't know what kind. M'sieur Google probably carries that design in his line.

6. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Foxfirebrand, thank you for the explanation... I will explain this to my students next week, so this info is really useful to give an idea not only of the word but also of the habits amongst students in the States.

7. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Yes, Fox, this looks like a typical high school scene.

8. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Well, a picture says it better, and that one's a dandy. Looks like the all-in-fun variant of a wedgie too, all among friends.

9. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Personally I find it rude and disgusting..... my boys love to sneak up on their cousins and give them wedgies!! They think it's more fun than jello!! YUCK!!
    Unfortunately it has become ever so popular........... I say again YUCK!

Yes, the dominant method of giving a wedgie is by the rear.... but is also given in the front.... known as a "fredgie" meaning front wedgie. Yet another YUCK!!

Sweet T.

10. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Well, tha atomic wedgie must be the king of foul play. In an atomic wedgie, the victim's underwear is actually pulled up from the back, and over the victim's head. :eek: :warning:

11. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Ahhhh VenusEnvy.... you must have a lot of dealings with the youth of today... I forgot about that one.... I can't imagine how bad the person's butt must hurt after one of those.... I have heard of kids being hung up on fence rails by their underwear too!! Kids can get sooooo mean, can't they?

Sweet T.

12. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Yes, I agree. I sure am grateful to be through with those years.

I've even heard of people's underwear actually snapping in half due to this! Oh, it hurts just thinking about it . . . .