1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Weird Words around the World

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by amikama, Oct 8, 2005.

1. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית
    This article inspired me to open this thread. Please list here weird or especially interesting words (in your language or any other language).

I can think of several obscure words in (non-Modern) Hebrew that I bet that most of the Hebrew speakers have never heard them before, but nevertheless they are quite weird...

תימוז (timoz) - one whose eyelashes have fallen.
    קיין (kayan) - one whose testicles are big.
    עקוד ('akod) - an animal which the color of its ankles is different from the color of its fur.

I was told once that in Arabic there is a verb that means "buried his alive daughter" :eek:

2. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Hmm. Interesting, but this...

...seems to be one of those things that "everyone knows", but is actually wrong:

Also:

That's an excessively limited definition of "sacanagem" in BP. It doesn't have to be a search for sexual pleasure, and it doesn't have to happen during Mardi Gras.

3. Merlin Senior Member

Philippines
    Philippines - Tagalog/English
    Well, I can share one word which is used in Tagalog (Philippine national Language) and in Pangasinan (Pangasinense which is a province in the Philippines) The word "wala" which in Tagalog means "none" while if it's used in Pangasinense, "wala" means "there is". It's really weird because most people get confused with this word.
    Oh my! What a verb!!!:D

4. martinemussies

martinemussies Senior Member

Amsterdam
    the Netherlands ~ Dutch.
    Perhaps the Dutch word "soepkip" is a funny one to mention here.
    Two characters from a Dutch tv-show for children started with it
    and now everyone around me seems to use this word. :s

Soep = soup
    Kip = chicken

So.... they call each other "chicken that has to be put in the soup", I guess. ;)

5. julienne Junior Member

City of Smiles
    Philippines-Hiligaynon/Filipino/English
    parallel to merlin's thought...

In Filipino, egg = itlog; bird = ibon... now, in Kapampangan, a local dialect egg = ebon. :eek:
    Also, in Ilonggo, my native dialect, later = karun, now = subong; in Cebuano, still another dialect, karun = now; later(in the day) = subong. :confused:

And in the Island of Negros, in the Visayas, a question goes, "how far to the north can a dog(called ido in Ilonggo) run? Ans: only until before the city of Sagay, when he enters Sagay, he is iru (thats dog in Cebuano). :D

confusing..... :confused:

6. Roi Marphille

Roi Marphille Senior Member

Moronland
    Catalonia, Catalan.
    Hi! nice thread!

A funny word in Catalan is "cagadubtes".
    It is a person who is always in a dubiousness state..he is not confident about anything.
    The translation would be something like: "the one who shits doubts"

Salutacions,
    Roi

7. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    We have a similar word in German with another meaning: Klugscheißer (smart aleck)

It means something like "someone who shits intelligently"

8. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Following on from the scatalogical line there is a dialect word where I come from: "to churtle" (sorry I have no idea how it's spelt!) It means to have a long, but not necessarily urgent, wee! Strangely enough it doesn't seem to have made it into standard English.

9. Or_lando Junior Member

Israel
    hebreo
    Yes, Amikama, it is the verb وأد (wa'ada) in Classical Arabic. There's also a passive participle for this verb موؤودة (maw'oodah) which refers to the daughter burried alive...

It is said to have been a common practice in the Pre-Islamic Arab culture, which was forbidden by Islam.

10. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    A funny word in Egyptian Arabic is يبعبص (yiba3bas). It means to poke between the buttocks with a finger, or more colloquially, to goose.

11. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    In colloquial Palestinian Arabic, that means "to mess around with" ("to poke with the fingers") pretty much anything - but it's vulgar.

It comes from "ba3buuS" :warn:, which is a vulgar word denoting the middle finger.

Accordingly, a "ba3Sa" :warn: is a bummer, an unfortunate circumstance - again, it's vulgar.

12. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Interesting thread Amikama
    Yes you're right, and as Orlando said, the word is "wa-ada", it was such a common practice in the old time that it had its own verb. I recently heard that it's taking place in modern India, in some of the Indian cities :eek:

As for the Hebrew words you gave, they're interesting as well. They reminded me of some Arabic words/adjectives :
    Ashram أشرم : a person with a cut lip
    Agda' أجدع : a person with a cut nose
    Ahwar أحور (masculine) Hawraa' حوراء : A person with dark black eyes (this is supposed to be a sign of beauty, though I personally prefer brown eyes :) )

I also found this :
    shabam شَـبَم : the cold, the adjective is shabim شَبـِـم.
    I was also amazed to find that there's a verb for opening the mouth : shaha شحا , but I think it means to open it very widely.
    And, speaking of testicles : An animal whose one of the testicles is bigger than the other is called ashrag أشرج (it can be used for men too)

And there are many others, I'll post whatever I can remember or find in the dictionary :)

13. Laia

Laia Senior Member

Catalan, Spanish
    In Catalan, "somiatruites", literaly is something like "dreaming omeletes" and means that you are always dreaming, gullible...

14. Chaska Ñawi

Chaska Ñawi modus borealis

an old Ontario farmhouse
    Canadian English
    The Hebrew and Arabic offerings have certainly opened my eyes.

While we're being scatalogical, I love this Spanish word (it may be archaic now) for a clerk, lawyer, etc.: cagatinta, or an ink-shitter.

Insect dung has its own word: frass. Dragon dung (should you find any) is a fewmet. Rodents leave miggles in their wake.

And, leaving the original idea a little behind, cows deposit cow-patties, and horses deposit road apples or meadow muffins.

15. soup bowl New Member

Canadian English
    I know a few in English :)Bibliobibuli - someone who reads too much

Caseifaction - the act of turning into cheese
    Serendipity - to find something you didn't know you were looking for,
    Avuncular - of or pertaining to an uncle. If you wish: "Uncle-like"

kalopsia - the delusion of things being more beautiful than they are.

16. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I've always liked Spanish escarmentar "to learn one's lesson" (also transitive, "to teach (someone) a lesson")

17. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    You'll be delighted :) to know that escarmentar is also Portuguese, but it's not a word I hear often in Brazil.

18. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    In Turkish the word for "no" is: Hayır. (Pronunced huh-year)

But since 1950's, the "media" started using "yo" to mean No, so that the dubbing would rhyme with the original actor's mouth in English movies.

When the actor would cry: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO", instead of 'hayııııııııııır', we would hear: "YOOOOOOOOOOOO".

19. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek the vernacular for "I'm bored" is «βαριέμαι» (var'ʝeme), first person sing, indicative mood, mediopassive voice of verb «βαρώ» (va'ro)--> to bump, knock, smash, smite, whack. «Bαριέμαι» lit. means to bump, knock, smash, smite, whack myself :D

20. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Also, Welsh gwylltio "annoy", from the adjective gwyllt "wild". Not sure if there are parallels to this in other languages.

21. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamihlapinatapai

A word I encountered in the Guinness Book of Records.

And about the article mentioned by the OP:
    "ANGUSHTI ZA'ID Russian

Someone with six fingers."

This is complete rubbish. The Russian for "six-fingered" is шестипалый (shestipalyi), but it's an occasionalism, just like "six-fingered". I found on the Internet that it's from Persian and actually means "too many fingers".

22. Dani1967 New Member

NYC
    Spanish (Arg), English
    An interesting adjective in Spanish is:

empalagoso : excessively sweet or rich

and the related reflexive verb:

empalagarse : to eat too much of a sweet thing / overdose on sweetness

23. HUMBERT0

HUMBERT0 Senior Member

Madre is Mother in Spanish.
    However, in colloquial Mexican Spanish it can also mean insignificant.
    • Es una madrecita, it’s small, insignificant
    • ¡Madres!, no te creo nada. (nothing/nihil!, I don't believe you anything)
    • But "madral" means a lot.
    • "En la madre", broke/busted something
    • "Desmadre", can mean disorder, disaster
    • "Madrear" is to hit/beat someone
    • "No tener madre" to be shameless, cynical
    Weird how colloquial language is….

24. Lars H

Lars H Senior Member

On many festivals, fairs, construction sites and other places that are temporarily crowded, there is good use for portable toilet cabins, often standing in long rows.

These are in Swedish named "bajamaja" where "baja" is how small kids would say poop and "maja" a girls name.
    There are other names like "hyrtoaletter" (rental toilets) or "portabla toaletter" but these names are not commonly used. Bajamaja is. I feel sorry for all Swedish girls named Maja :eek:

25. Nizo Senior Member

The Esperanto verb krokodili means to speak in one's native language instead of Esperanto at an Esperanto gathering. Considered very rude, of course! :)

26. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    This is not very accurate. The verb wa'ada means "to bury alive", regardless of the gender or age of the person being buried. Indeed, there was a pre-Islamic practice of burying their baby children alive, mostly girls; this practice was specifically pointed out and forbidden by Islam, hence the misconception.

27. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Really? That's interesting, because the word is used in Finnish as well. I always thought there was a connection with maja ('hut'). ;)

28. Lars H

Lars H Senior Member

Hej

I think that is a coincidence. It seems that many of these are made by Bajamaja AB, a Swedish company based in Skåne, and that this name was so catchy that it replaced all others in daily use.
    And then I suppose they discovered that the physical needs are the same on both sides of Pohjanmeri :)

29. hui Senior Member

Finnish
    You mean Pohjanlahti (Bottenviken; Gulf of Bothnia) or Selkämeri (Bottenhavet; Bothnian Sea), not Pohjanmeri (Nordsjön; North Sea).

30. Lars H

Lars H Senior Member

Yes, I do...:eek:
    My mistake. I know that Pohjanmeri equals Nordsjön and not Bottenviken, but that doesn't help when I'm careless in my writing. :(

31. mataripis Senior Member

To the Filipinos, ethnic words are weird to their sounds, it is an ancient language that become solid or compressed in a grammar.* English: I don't like the bad mannered person. **Tagalog: Hindi ako sang ayon sa taong may masamang pag uugali. ***De pa DUMAGET(ethnic language) Nagkapoy ok de agta a te mamalot a ugeli. (If read by native speaker) Nagkapoyok de agta ate mamalota uwgeli.

32. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Turkish and and Azeri language are very similar languages but there are some words which mean totally different things.

For example:

Azeri: yarak tüccarı: weapons dealer
    Turkish: yarak tüccarı: penis (vulgar) dealer

Azeri: Kerhaneci: factory manager
    Turkish: Kerhaneci: brothel manager

:)

33. Favara Senior Member

Catalan - Southern Val.
    Another weird Catalan word:
    Cagabandúrries roughly translates to "the one who shits banjos". It's an insult, of course.

34. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    I think one of interesting Hungarian words is: fehérmájú [lit.: with white liver] and is means a horny woman. I wonder why with white liver.

35. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    That is really weird.

Me too.

In American English these "portable toilet cabins" are often called "porta potties."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  36. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    The word "ciao" is the quintessential Italian word. But ironically, if you go to Rome, young boys don't say "ciao", they say "bella" (feminine adjective: beautiful) instead, when greeting other boys.
    When said to a girl, its original meaning returns: beautiful girl.

In Chinese almost all insults have "egg" : 笨蛋 (stupid egg), 坏蛋 (bad egg), 傻蛋 (dumb egg), 王八蛋 (turtle's egg).
    Probably turtle's egg is the weirdest.
    王八蛋 is pronounced wang2 ba1 dan4, some people say it derives from 忘八端 wang4 ba1 duan1 - which means: to forget the 8 virtues of Confucianisms: filial piety, brotherhood, loyalty, trust, etiquette, righteousness, integrity, shamefulness.

But 乌龟 (turtle) alone is also an insult, it means "betrayed husband/wife", similarly to the Italian "cornuto" and the Spanish "chifrudo".

37. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Young boys only? What do you mean by young boys?

38. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    I would say male people, below 30 years old.
    It's young people's slang.

39. Abu Rashid

Abu Rashid Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Australian English
    The verb is "to bury alive", not specifically a daughter, and it was used in the Qur'an in condemnation of the pre-Islamic practices of the Pagan Arabs in the feminine passive participle as mentioned above, which does in effect refer to "the daughter buried alive".

40. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Since these "portable toilet cabins" are used so much at festivals, in Norwegian they are often called "festivaltoaletter" or "festivaldoer" (Both "toaletter" and "do" are Norwegian words for toilet, but "do" is more informal.)

41. puny_god Junior Member

English - US
    One odd Filipino word for me is "gigil". I can't seem to find a close enough translation for it.
    It's that feeling when you see a very cute baby and you want to pinch his cheeks because he's just so darn cute.
    But then it can also be feeling of seething anger at something or someone. :confused:
    I always find it hard to explain, oh well :)

42. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek, when something must be done very quickly, it must be done unblinkingly: «ασκαρδαμυκτί» [askarðami'kti] (adv.)

«Ασκαρδαμυκτί» [askarðami'kti] (adv.) < Classical adv. «ἀσκαρδαμυκτὶ» ăskărdămūktì --> without winking, unblinkingly < compound, privative prefix «ἀ-» [a-] + Classical v. «σκαρδαμύσσω» skărdămússō (Attic variant «καρδαμύττω» kărdămúttō) --> to blink/wink/twinkle (with obscure etymology, possibly pre-Greek)

43. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    But the link between the two meanings is extremely obvious, isn't it? :confused: If something is seething out of your mind, it can be affection, anger, or yet anything else.
    How funny. :) In Russian, this means that someone would do something without reckoning too much about ethics or something else. Or, alternatively, that someone would do something very quickly. But this is a stable expression, not a stable word; it is «не моргнув глазом».

44. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    We have something similar in hebrew, כהרף עין keheref ayin.

45. puny_god Junior Member

English - US
    Yup, you are right. That's why it's a really odd word. It does not have an exact English equivalent and it's got different meanings.