well-... or ...-conscious?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by cenicienta_87, May 26, 2006.

1. cenicienta_87

cenicienta_87 New Member

Buenos Aires
    español argentina
    I want you to help me with these structures that i couldn't find in any dictionary:
    Is it well-health or health-conscious?
    well-safety or safety-conscious?
    Could you please explain to me the meanings of these structures?

Is it 'self-conscious' correct? Does it make reference to a person who only cares about himself?
    Please, feel free to correct my mistakes.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Without more context I am not sure what you are trying to say, but well-health and well-safety don´t make sense to me. Self-conscious is a good word, but it does not necessarily mean a person who only cares about himself. It refers to someone who is overly aware of himself, his appearance, or his behavior. A self-conscious person usually feels very uncomfortable, he thinks that everyone is noticing his behavior or appearance (whether or not they really are).

health-conscious and safety-conscious are good words.
  3. altagracia New Member

Spanish, Spain
    Health-conscious significa "preocupado por la salud", "cuidadoso con la salud", o incluso "sano" o "saludable".

La misma estructura es "safety-conscious": preocupado por o cuidadoso con la seguridad.

Self-conscious significa "avergonzado" o "consciente de sí mismo" --es decir, abochornado, apurado...

Well-health y "well-safety" son agramaticales, no significan nada.

Espero que te sirva, son estructuras muy difíciles de traducir bien al español.
  4. jisaacs

jisaacs Junior Member

Pennsylvania USA
    English - US
    As gotitadeleche indicated, "conscious" means aware and when you append it to a noun with a hyphen, it means the person is aware of that issue.

Health-conscious = aware of health

The health-conscious consumer will buy fresh fruits, whole grains, and vitamin supplements.

Safety-conscious = aware of safety

The safety-conscious driver will always buckle up.

Self-conscious, as gotitadeleche explained, carries the connotation of being overly aware of oneself, to the point of embarrassment:

He was very self-conscious about his stutter. Coming in late to class made her feel self-conscious.

I hope this helps.