Well suited for/to

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Brera, May 5, 2007.

1. i'm googling it and both options appear to be good, can anyone explain me the difference between saying:

x is well suited for ....
    x is well suited to ....

Examples:

- Tall fescue is well suited for growing in areas between streets and sidewalks

- This is a part-time job and is well suited to a student at HPU

- The spin friendly response of this racquet is well suited to hitting angles

- How well suited is Will Smith for the role of 'Hitch'

- Further, the majority of the Board believes Dr. Ryan is admirably well suited to this task.

Thank you

2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    The differences are very subtle and I think many listeners would see no difference at all. But I think the first example should be "to growing," the second should be "for a student," I'm not sure about the third, and the last two are definitely right. I don't know if I can give you a pattern; to me it seems to be a question of style.

3. eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Belgian
    Both are good.

4. James2000 Senior Member

English - South Africa
    I'd agree with Chris. Often one just sounds better than the other, without any good reason (that I can see). I would say the first one is fine with 'for growing', but I think that just goes to show how much of a personal preference it often is.

5. eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Belgian