Well suited for/to

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Brera, May 5, 2007.

1. i'm googling it and both options appear to be good, can anyone explain me the difference between saying:

x is well suited for ....
    x is well suited to ....

Examples:

- Tall fescue is well suited for growing in areas between streets and sidewalks

- This is a part-time job and is well suited to a student at HPU

- The spin friendly response of this racquet is well suited to hitting angles

- How well suited is Will Smith for the role of 'Hitch'

- Further, the majority of the Board believes Dr. Ryan is admirably well suited to this task.

Thank you

2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    The differences are very subtle and I think many listeners would see no difference at all. But I think the first example should be "to growing," the second should be "for a student," I'm not sure about the third, and the last two are definitely right. I don't know if I can give you a pattern; to me it seems to be a question of style.

3. eno2

eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Flemish
    Both are good.

4. James2000 Senior Member

English - South Africa
    I'd agree with Chris. Often one just sounds better than the other, without any good reason (that I can see). I would say the first one is fine with 'for growing', but I think that just goes to show how much of a personal preference it often is.

5. eno2

eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Flemish
  6. Gepiept Senior Member

Europe
    English (o algo parecido)
    Hello, does a gerund always comes after "suited to"? If so, could someone explain to me why? Thank you!

7. SevenDays Senior Member

Spanish
    Always? No; suited to can be followed by the infinitive or the gerund, as far as I can tell. The difference is that infinitive action prospective or abstract, while the gerund show an action as if in progress. Context would tell you which one fits better (so we'd need to see an example), and I suspect sometimes it wouldn't make much of a difference.

8. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I agree with this, and I think the third one is right as is.

What makes the difference is that "well suited" has multiple meanings, as do "to" and "for", and the choice of preposition should fit a meaning of "well suited" that is appropriate to the context.

9. Gepiept Senior Member

Europe
    English (o algo parecido)
    Thank you for the explanations. Could you please give me a few examples where an infinitive follows "suited to"? Thank you once again!