Welsh: bod am

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Gavril, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Nos da,

The phrase bod am seems to mean “want”, based on the contexts in which I’ve heard it. Is bod am synonymous with eisiau, or does it have implications/connotations that eisiau doesn’t?

Also, can bod am be used with a noun or a verb? (E.g., would it be equally acceptable to say Rydw i am fudo i'r Trallwng “I want to move to Welshpool” vs. Mae e(f) am deisen “He wants some cake”?)

2. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hi Gavril,
    I'm not a Welsh speaker, nor did I manage to find the term "bod am" on-line. However perhaps the following links may be of help to you.

Bod = to be Source (scroll down to section on verbs.)
    Perhaps then the first term "bod am" is a colloquialism.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    bod am ("be" + "for" = "want") isn't mentioned in any of those three links, as far as I can see.

It's quite possible that bod am is a colloquialism (I wasn't taught it when I studied Welsh), but regardless, I have questions about this phrase's semantics (see my first post) which I'm hoping knowledgeable Welsh speakers can answer.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  4. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

English (Ireland), Welsh, Irish
    I'm a native speaker of Welsh. The use of 'am' after the verb 'bod' (to be) means 'to be going to' in this context:

Rydw i am fudo - I am going to relocate.

Mae ef am deisen is incorrect and therefore means nothing ;) When using 'am' for such structures, it must be followed by a verb. To make this correct, you could say 'Mae e am fwyta teisen' - he is going to eat a cake.

Wyt ti am fynd i'r sinema? means 'are you going to go to the cinema?', to give you another example.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  5. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Thanks. Is there a difference of meaning, then, between

1) Rydw i am fudo

2) Byddaf i'n mudo

3) Mudaf i

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  6. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

English (Ireland), Welsh, Irish
    Rydw i am fudo can either be I am going to relocate or I intend to relocate depending on the context whereas byddaf i'n mudo is I will relocate (future tense).

Mudaf i Gaer is I relocate/ am relocating to Chester, present tense - note that you will never hear anyone say this is spoken Welsh.
  7. Cerinwen Member

Welsh, English - British
    Hello Gavril. I'm a native Welsh speaker and if you want to say 'I want' it's 'Dw i 'isho'. It's difficult to write down spoken Welsh, but you'll hear this as 'Dwisho'......'Dwisho symyd i......' which is 'I want to move to.....'