1. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    Today I searched out some videos on the internet of speech in Welsh and Breton. I don't understand a word of it, but I noticed most speakers have a very heavy influence of English or French in their speech, understandable really. But I wonder are their any "purer" dialects of either, I'm curious and I'd like to get an idea of what the Briton or gaulish language would have sounded like in Roman times. Note, I know that Breton is not directly related to Gaulish, but in early Roman times Gaulish and "British" were close enough to be mutually intelligible.
  2. Roel~ Junior Member

Nederlands - Nederland
    You can find the video 'Siar sna 70idí 1972 Raidió na Gaeltachta, Aonach na gCapall, Éigse na Mumhan ' in YouTube, I can't post it here because one of the rules is that it is forbidden to post links to videos with speech in another language, but you can type it in yourself.

In the first few seconds of the video you can hear what I think is authentic Gaelic. It sounds somewhat like Swedish too, I think that the Normans possibly influenced the Gaelic pronounciation, so it will be very hard to find authentic Gaelic from the Roman times, because I think that no Celtic area could prevent the Norse influence, but I think that this video could be an example of Gaelic which isn't spoken by an English spoken and which still is the Gaelic spoken after the invasion by the Normans in the 9th centuary, which comes most close to what the first Gaelic sounded like, because the first one is probably completely lost and only left in dialects of some languages which were imposed on the Celts.
  3. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    Gaelic is interesting, it was isolated from from Roman influences thus more "pure," still on the whole Primitive Gaelic was close to Old Brythonic. But as it evolved it followed a path similar to French, dropping consonants making the modern forms strikingly different from welsh.