were / have been

Discussion in 'English Only' started by as_99, Feb 24, 2013.

1. as_99 Senior Member

Arabic
    I am wondering which one is correct in the following context, to use "were" or "have been"

The same problems were / have been persistent until the time this project was / has been finished.

Please advise.

2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I count four possibilities there, as_99. So please tell us which of those four you favour, and above all, tell us why you favour it/them. Please also name your source.

The same problems were persistent until the time this project was finished.
    The same problems were persistent until the time this project has been finished.
    The same problems have been persistent until the time this project was finished.
    The same problems have been persistent until the time this project has been finished.

3. as_99 Senior Member

Arabic

I have just finish the project and the problems are still exist ... I would choose # 4.

The same problems have been persistent until the time this project has been finished

Please advise.

4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Please name source.

5. as_99 Senior Member

Arabic
    It is mine

6. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    You could say "These problems persisted until the project was complete".

Which of the functions of the present perfect tense did you have in mind when you suggested that the present perfect tense might be possible, as? To my mind, the present perfect is unlikely here because the completion is in the past. The present perfect tense is generally about past time periods that continue to the present, and here there is no such time period.