What are a "twinkie" and a "bimbo"?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by riglos, Jan 10, 2006.

1. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Hi all!

I'd appreciate it if you could give me a good definition for this word. Here's the context:

MRS. GELLER: Did you know Richard has a twinkie in the city?

MR. GELLER: I know. He's like a new man. It's like a scene from Cocoon.

MRS. GELLER: I just never would have pictured Richard with a bimbo.

MR. GELLER: Apparently, he told Johnny Shapiro that she's quite a girl. In fact, he told Johnny that he thinks he's falling in love with her.

MRS. GELLER: Really.

MR. GELLER: I tell you, I've never seen him this happy.

MRS. GELLER: So Jack, you ever think about trading me in for a younger model?

I assume these two words must have a somewhat related meaning, but I'd like to know precisely what they mean.

Thanks!

Mara.

2. Black_Mamba

Black_Mamba Junior Member

Leicester, England
    England,English
    I can't answer for 'twinkie' I'm afraid. I have never heard that one, but a Bimbo is a stereotypical blonde female, very thick, large chest and probably peroxide hair who thinks that she is gorgeous, but in actaul fact is not, like this
    Very harsh I know!

3. marinax Senior Member

buenos aires
    español (Argentina)
    "twinkie" can refer to a young male or female, innocent and beautiful but in truth quite sexy. some sort of "lover" or very young boyfriend/girlfriend for an older man.
    a bimbo is a girl of "easy leaving"...

that is from a Friends episode. they are referring to a young girl who is dating richard (who in fact is monica, Geller's daughter)

4. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    You might wish to refer to THIS thread to understand the more subtle nuances of "bimbo."

I'm at more of a loss for "twinkie," although a fairly close definition can be found at number 7, HERE. I would assume, based upon the consistency of an actual "Twinkie" pastry, that it is a person who is blonde on the outside and all "fluff" in the middle. In other words, very sweet and very cute, but not very smart.

5. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    I was about to post something similar. A Twinkie is a packaged snack cake (TM Hostess) that consists of yellow sponge cake with a whipped cream filling. So twinkie, as Gen said, suggests a woman who is attractive but lacks substance.

Elisabetta, who used to look forward to finding a Twinkie in her lunch bag 35 - 40 years ago...

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Here is one idea of a twinkie

Twinkies don't have to be of the blond persuasion.

If they practice strict diets, they may be called "steel-bellied
    airheads" in some parts of the AE realm. They come in both male and female varieties.

7. boonognog Senior Member

Charlotte, NC
    English (U.S.)
    I think, more generally, a 'twinkie' is someone who is young, cute, and clueless (male or female), whereas a 'bimbo' (always female) may be somewhat clueless, but usually has a habit of doing certain things with full knowledge.

8. JazzByChas

JazzByChas Senior Member

I believe that a "twinkie" and a "bimbo" are pretty much the same thing...this has been discussed at length in French and English here.

Chas.

9. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
  10. ARGMAN Senior Member

Bahrain
    Arabic
    bimbo - a young woman indulged by rich and powerful older men

this definition fits the situation the most