What are nominal compounds?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Andie B, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Andie B New Member

Kolkata
    India-Bengali, Hindi and English
    Hello there, everyone! Am stuck with an English assignment, something that has peeved me because I have never been one to be stuck in an English assignment of all things. So a little help from you guys would be life-saving at this point of time.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Andie B

2. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Some more context is needed. As it stands, the term 'nominal compound' could mean either of two things:

(i) compound where both elements are nouns, e.g. credit card, dog food, bus stop, government inquiry. These can be grouped into larger compounds wholly consisting of nouns, e.g. credit card fraud, credit card fraud legislation. Probably, this is what is meant. But it could also mean:

(ii) compound where the result is nominal (behaves like a noun), though the parts aren't: e.g. small businessman, revolving door, down arrow.

3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Oh, also. We also need to know whether they mean 'compound' in the wide sense - the word groups I used above - or in a more narrow sense of single words that are compounds. If they mean single words, then we still have the question of whether they mean:

(i) doghouse, mealtime, etc.

or (ii) redhead, upbeat, scarecrow, etc.

4. Andie B New Member

Kolkata
    India-Bengali, Hindi and English
    Thank you so much for that! You have been a lifesaver!

In college, when one is studying for a technical degree, you expect some grammar books to be there, right? WRONG. Our teacher explained the various parts involved but did not give us the definition properly. And let's face it, nominal compounds are not the easiest things in the world. At least not to me. Easy for examples and all, but not so for definition.

Thank you once again, entangledbank! (.n_n.)