1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

what are these lines in your face called in English?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by u-1, Jan 20, 2011.

1. u-1 Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Good morning,

I have a question.

When you get old, sometimes you can see two lines like wrinkles on your face that go across from both sides of your nose to both ends of your mouth. These lines go along the cheeks.

Mmm, it is really really difficut to describe the lines in English.

Anyway, my question is that if there is a word for these lines (wrinkes)?

I know the way I described the lines is really confusing because of my lack of Englsih skills. I'm sorry.

Thanks for reading my quesiton anyway.

2. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    What about deep lines, deep creases or fine lines, fine facial creases?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. Fabulist Senior Member

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    If someone comes up with a word, I'll bet it will turn out to be a technical term known only by anatomists and plastic surgeons who do facial surgery. I don't think there is a widely-known, widely-understood, or widely-used word in English for what you are describing.

In English, we do talk about "wrinkles" on a face, but they are not limited to the two places you specify.

4. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Nasolabial fold.

5. Waylink Senior Member

English (British)
  6. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    That is also the term used in AmE. (Naso = nose, labial = lips.)

7. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Oh really - lack of other context I would interpret "laughter lines" as referring to the ones emanating from the corners of the eyes. Maybe I've been misinterpreting that term all this time!

8. Sprache Senior Member

United States
    English/inglés
    Here we call the wrinkles in the corners of the eyes "crow's feet". Laugh lines are the ones that the thread-starter described in the original question. I don't know if it's commonly used in other places, though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  9. ajo fresco

ajo fresco Senior Member

I asked my cousin, the botox addict expert. She says they're called "marionette lines."

10. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Yes, we call them crow's feet too. I thought crow's feet and laughter lines were synonymous - it could well be I've just misunderstood the term all this time. Any BE commentators??

11. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Ah, but presumably you wouldn't have been able to tell from her expression if she were joking or not;).

12. ajo fresco

ajo fresco Senior Member

It was over the phone, so we'll never know. :D
    However, she is quite knowledgeable on the subject. ;)

13. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    I've just googled "laughter lines definition" and 5 of the top 7 results (and the other two didn't seem to relate to the question at all as far as I could see) - including the macmillan dictionary which is marked as being an AE dictionary - define "laughter lines" as being those around the eyes:).

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=...=laughter+lines+definition&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

14. Fabulist Senior Member

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    Timpeac, is this part of your working vocabulary or did you look it up? (Or are you a plastic surgeon?)

15. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Ah Fabulist, you've caught me. In fact it's part and part. I knew that it was a phrase like that, but I did google it first before posting.

On the other hand, and vulgar alert for those who worry about those things - the colloquial term that occurs to me about those wrinkles is "blow job wrinkles" - which definitely isn't a synonym for crow's feet...

16. Havfruen Senior Member

USA
    English - American
    Since we have two of them, the plural form may be what you're after:
    Nasolabial folds :D

17. u-1 Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Dear my teachers,

Thank you for answering my question.

I appreciate it!

U-1