what date/day is it today? What date/day is today?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by birkner, Mar 28, 2008.

1. birkner New Member

chile spanish
    Dear friends I have a doubt. Which is correct?
    What date/day is it today? or What date/day is today?
    thank you much in advance
    victor

2. Dawei Senior Member

English (USA)
    We say both "what day is today" and "what day is it today", maybe with a slight preference for "what day IS today."

"What date is (it) today" is not said very often; normally we say "What is today's date"

3. GinBoxer New Member

NYC
    English - Eastern US
    No estoy seguro de que si esto fuera la pregunta, pero…

Technically, I believe that "date" refers to the number of the date of the month (May 30), while "day" refers to the day of the week (Monday/Tuesday/etc).

As a native speaker I don't always make this distinction, but I have occasionally asked for one and received the other.

4. Spug Senior Member

Hola birkner,

Both of your constructions are correct, but they mean different things.

"What date is it today?" would be "¿Cuál es la fecha de hoy?", and in English we would answer with the date (for example, June 17).

"What day is it today" would be "¿Qué día es hoy?", and we would respond with the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, etc.).

Espero que esto te sirva, y un saludo.

5. elianecanspeak Senior Member

by Lake Michigan
    English - EEUU
    Acuerdo con Spug sobre la distinción entre "day" y "date", pero con respeto, nunca diría "What date is it today?" sino "What's the date today?"

6. bpowell84 New Member

English - United States
    this is an old thread, but I needed help, so I will post. For me the most natural is Whats today's date?

7. elianecanspeak Senior Member

by Lake Michigan
    English - EEUU
    Both "Whats today's date?" and "What's the date today?" sound natural to me.

8. wordbirdforever Junior Member

English
    This is an old thread but I stumbled across it and thought this would be beneficial for others.

If you say 'what date is it' or similar you will get the date in the response, for example 'the 12th of January'.

If you say 'what day is it' or similar you will get the day of the week in the response, for example 'Monday' or 'Tuesday'.

I hope that helps further. You can check what day of the week it is here...

I wanted to post a useful link but was not allowed. Don't think I'll stick around then. :-(