1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

What do you call a person who talk about a subject all over again ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by claude23, Mar 15, 2006.

1. claude23 Senior Member

normandy
    FRANCE
    Hi,

What do you call a person who talk about a subject all over again ? You keep telling this person that you understood but she keep repeating herself.

Thank you,

claude.

2. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    You could say that she is being tediously repetitive or that that she keeps going on and on about the same thing ad nauseum.

3. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    If people keep going on about the same thing sometimes they are described as being like a scratched record.

4. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I'd forgotten about that expression. I wonder whether one could use a more updated version of that and say, like a scratched cd.

5. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Wouldn't that be someone on speed with a particularly impressive stutter?

6. Redundant, repetitive... You could also say "He keeps harping on the subject/keeps going on and on/is like a broken record". I think there are lot of ways you can express this idea.

7. heidita Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Germany (German, English, Spanish)
    When someone goes on and on about something I always say :

You are such a drag!!!!

8. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    We sometimes refer to them as "a broken record" - which recalls the way a scratched record used to cause the stylus to play the same pice of a song over and over again.

9. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    I would call such a person a bore, or perhaps a PITA.

10. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Claude,
    Please take a little care with verb forms. Your
    English is certainly good enough to avoid such
    repetitive errors.:)

11. geve

geve Senior Member

France, Paris
    France, French
    Would it be adequate to use "ramble" (or "ramble on"?) in this context ?

12. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    No - not really - to ramble on is to carry on talking on and on in one go long after what needed to be said was said. Here I think we are talking about someone who keeps saying the same thing again and again.

Actually - I can't be 100 per cent sure of the context. If Claude means that in the same speech this person says something then says it again and then again, all in one go, then yes your suggestion would work.:)

13. superjules Senior Member

german / Germany. location: Puerto Rico o
    Claude,
    I've never heard 'he talks like a scratched record'(british?).
    But you hear a lot: You talk like a broken record>"
    sj

14. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Let's see if I can help:
    1) She keeps repeating the same thing!
    2) She keeps going on and on and on!
    3) She sounds like a broken record
    4) She is very repetitive.

And there are some others I cannot think of at the moment.

15. COLsass

COLsass Senior Member

I would call them "pedantic" if they're explaining something to you that you already get.

I would call them a "pest" if they're just chatting non-stop.

16. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    It could well be a BE thing. It is even used as a recognised sales technique as a way of persuading people - you keep on repeating yourself. Similarly you come across it in interviews of suspects by the police.

17. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    If they go on and on, but more in an exhausting than a repetitive way, you can call them:

a windbag
    a gasbag
    a blowhard
    overbearing
    preachy

18. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

One could say motor-mouth. This refers to someone who will not quit talking even though different subjects are discussed. I guess that if a person keeps repeating something they would also qualify as a motor-mouth because they won't shut up.

drei

19. la reine victoria Senior Member

From what I've just been told by someone I would say 'Going over old ground.'

LRV

20. la reine victoria Senior Member

Someone who says the same thing over and over again reiterates. They can be called reiterative. This is not an adjective in common use. This is not an adjective in common use. This is not an adjective in common use.

LRV
    reiterating

21. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Fascinating. Commoners do not use such words. Must be in the realm of the royal, iteratively speaking--something that happens when Royals regale us with repititions, and repeatedly.:D

22. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    Been there, heard that!

23. la reine victoria Senior Member

You look so dashing in your new 'evening dress' avatar Cuchu that, just for you, I shall cease to ingeminate. ;) :p

LRV

24. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    You could also call this someone a slow learner!

25. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Ingeminate, for those of us who can't recall, precisely, what it might mean:
    OED

26. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    And, for those of us who cannot remember where we left our boots, let alone "echoes of quot.",

Panj will have another OED iteration for us one of these fine days.

27. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    I think I said:

28. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Brilliant!

Not only did you reiterate, but also echoed of quot. all at once!

29. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    I'm not sure if I ingeminated or reiterated, although all this ...ated reminds me of an incongruous thingywhatsit that I'll post in a minute.

My ingemination was a holding reiteration of my previous post, while I went to find the 1647 quot. in the OED.

1647 CLARENDON Hist. Reb. VII. §233 [Falkland] often, after a deep silence and frequent sighs, would with a shrill and sad accent, ingeminate the word, Peace, Peace.

Now, does that feel better?

30. la reine victoria Senior Member

Makes me feel very peaceful Panj. I've recently been full of deep silences and frequent sighs. Now all I need do is ingeminate the word 'Peace' and I'm suddenly bathed in it. You're a real tonic - far better than the quack nerve pills I've been ingesting. :) Thank you.

If I may, since it's a big day for you tomorrow, here's my greeting for a happy one. For Maxiogee too.

LRV

31. One of my favorite ways to express a situation where someone is talking non-stop (which usually, if not always, involves some degree of redundancy) is:

"yada yada yada yada yada...."

As in "Oh my God. She never shuts up. It's just (like) yada yada yada yada yada....!"

This replaces the more old-fashioned and somewhat less flavorful "blablabla bla blablabla..."

This does not, however, stress the idea of a monologue that repeats itself endlessly, it is more along the lines of the "motor mouth".

Which reminds me of a term my mother would use every once in a while, when she encountered individuals who not only never stopped talking but also said things that she did not particularly want to hear. SHe would say he/she has "diarreah of the mouth". A horrible expression, but sometimes applicable.

32. la reine victoria Senior Member

In the UK we call it 'verbal diarrohea'. :)

LRV

33. And you most likely use the correct spelling of that unsavo(u)ry word, as well! :)

34. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    We call it that in Australia.
    I remember reading in an Iridology book written by a woman who had a Scottish background that her mother always told her to keep her bowels open and her mouth shut.

35. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    An interesting word that. Not many people use it correctly.
    I am cold - I have said it.
    I am cold - I have iterated it.
    I am cold - I have reiterated it.

To reiterate only applies to the third and subsequent utterances of something. It is usually used for the second and subsequent.

36. cameo

cameo Junior Member

Chinese, Taiwan
    I once saw "gusher" used to mean a long-winded speaker. I wonder if that's a "standard usage" (do many people use it)?

37. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Gushing is used. It isn't necessarily someone who repeats themselves, just someone who says more than they need to. Some people say less when they are nervous, whereas others just can't shut up: they are gushers. It is also used with people who come out with lots of sentimental stuff that they probably don't mean that sincerely.

38. Babegurl New Member

Georgia
    English and USA
    well you could say they are reapeating themselves over and over again
    or to be funny you can say they are being a repeat box
    dats wat i say to my grandpa

cip
    babegurl

39. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Welcome babegurl
    We use correct English grammar and punctuation here.
    This is because we have a lot of non-native speakers.
    You might have a read of the forum rules before you post anything.

40. Mizz_Kimness New Member

Somewhere
    English
    It is as if, they would be repetative, would it not? I believe so, because if you repeat something over and over again, then it does sounds like a broken record, which leads to repetativeness, and then it is just plain annoying after that!

41. la reine victoria Senior Member

A small spelling correction if I may, Mizz Kimness. Please see Maxiogee's post above.

repetitive, repetitiveness

La Reine V