What does "county" means ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by roniy, May 13, 2006.

1. roniy Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    For example I live in Brooklyn NY

What is my county ????

2. maxiogee Banned

A county is an administrative area.
    I imagine that in New York city, the boroughs are the equivalent of counties.
  3. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    England is divided into counties (as is Ireland!). For example, I live in Nottingham in the county of Nottinghamshire. Nottingham is the county town (principal administrative town or city) of Nottinghamshire.
  4. maxiogee Banned

Emma42 - the US of A also has counties. :D
  5. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    A county of the United States is a local level of government smaller than a state but generally larger than a city or town, in a U.S. state or territory. The state of Louisiana (USA) has parishes instead of counties. Alaska uses the word borough.
  6. petereid

petereid Senior Member

selby yorkshire
    If you are in Brooklyn NY you are in "Kings"
  7. roniy Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
    OK I understand
  8. maxiogee Banned

Is Kings only Brooklyn, or does it take in other parts too?

What function does "Kings" serve? Does it have an administrative authority?
  9. petereid

petereid Senior Member

selby yorkshire
  10. Palice Senior Member

English, England
    Départements are like counties in France, right?

And just one note about the thread title - when using the word 'does' or 'do' the infinitive of the verb is used. It should have been: "What does "county" mean?". :)
  11. Seana

Seana Senior Member

I usually identify it with larger or smaller portion of Great Britain originally under the supervision of an earl.
    Does county mean the same as a shire?
    And moreover whether communities exist in US as the similar territorial ares in Europe.
  12. lizzeymac

lizzeymac Senior Member

New York City
    English - USA
    Wikipedia has an interesting profile of New York City, with lots of juicy trivia. The government is twisty as the boroughs were separate cities with differing systems for a long time before they officially joined together in one City (1899-1914).

Kings County is the Borough of Brooklyn. Located on Southwestern Long Island.
    Bronx County is the Borough of the Bronx. The Bronx is the only borough of the city that is on the mainland of the United States.
    New York County is the Borough of Manhattan. Manhattan Island.
    Queens County is the Borough of Queens. Located on Northwestern Long Island.
    Richmond County is the Borough of Staten Island.

I learned something from Wikipedia that startled me -

New York City's population is larger than that of 39 of the 50 states in America.

1 out of every 37 Americans lives in New York City.

13. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Australia English
    Shire and county are effectively the same thing.

Many of the existing or former counties of the UK have -shire in their name.
    Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Oxfordshire, &c.

Note that Shire is pronounced as you'd expect, but -shire on the end of a name is pronounced -sheer.
  14. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    I don't think Départements in France are the same as Counties, because the word itself derives from the more ancient (and larger) political divisions, which were sometimes Duchies and sometimes regions, but most often counties or Comtés. In other words a county is the fiefdom ruled or administered or owned by a Count. A Marquis is a Count from a Mark, which is a county bordering hostile territory.

The Normans came from a system with counts, but conquered a land that didn't have that title. At first the county-level tier of peerage were known as Barons and the upper-echelon were Earls. By a certain escalation, several hundred years later, Earls were generally known by the names of Shires, and the major peerages were called Dukes-- though there are no real duchies in Great Britain.

Barons were real rulers, and they ruled, in effect, counties (or marks-- the "Marcher Lords" who held Cheshire, Gloucestershire and other Shires abutting Wales were barons, not Earls). There was an Earl of Gloucester, but when Earldoms were created, the placenames had little or nothing to do with the man being honored. Piers Gaveston, for example, probably never set a mincing step in Cornwall.

To make things more confusing, the titular regnum over a county might be baronial, but the administrative power usually rested in the office of the Reeve or Sheriff (Shire-reeve). So it is that the top lawman in a U.S. county is still called a sheriff, though the political unit is run by a boss of some sort, hiding behind a committee of county "supervisors" or "commissioners."

This kind of overlap, and confusion between the influence of title and the power of office, is one reason Napoleon created the system of Départements-- to get rid of l'ancien régime and all its component parts.

15. ewhite

ewhite Senior Member

Kings County and the Borough of Brooklyn are co-terminous. Kings County is an administrative unit of New York State; the Borough of Brooklyn is an administrative unit of the City of New York.

So for instance, the court system, which is a state institution, is referred to as the Kings County Supreme (or whatever) Court. Police, fire and sanitation units, which are city responsibilities, are designated as, for instance, Brooklyn North.