What does Peter think his parents are going to do?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by abda2405, Jan 24, 2013.

1. abda2405 Senior Member

Russian
    I was doing my courses homework online that is in my browser, and there was a question 'what does Peter think are his parents going to do.....?' which got me confused because I thought it should be like this:'what does Peter think his parents are going to.....' could you please explain that to me. Thank you in advance:). And could you please tell me if I made any mistakes, I want to know how correctly I speak:).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    You're right, abda2405:thumbsup:.

'What does Peter think are his parents going to do?':cross:
    'What does Peter think his parents are going to do?':tick:

3. abda2405 Senior Member

Russian
    Are you telling me my courses are mistaken? o_O

4. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I don't know about your courses, but someone made a stupid mistake in posting that sentence.

5. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    The (interrogative) inversion is lost in questions above a certain level of complexity.

'What are his Parents going to do?'

'What does Peter think his parents are going to do?'

6. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    The question only needs putting once; the rest of the sentence consists of statements (and there may be several).

'What are his Parents going to do?'
    'What does Peter think his parents are going to do?'
    'What did you tell me that Peter thinks his parents are going to do?'
    'What can she remember about what you told me that Peter thinks his parents are going to do?'

7. abda2405 Senior Member

Russian
    Now I got it! Only one question! Like: "How do you think what Peter thinks of the idea of asking if Jane is home?"

8. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I'm sorry, abda, but what is your question? Please clarify.

9. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I think abda is trying to give another example of Keith's "only one question" idea - am I right, abda?

If so, your example is very nearly right - you just need to tweak it to "What do you think [what] Peter thinks of the idea of asking if Jane is home?"

:thumbsup::)

10. abda2405 Senior Member

Russian
    Yes, sorry:). I always make that mistake:). "how do you think" instead of "what do you think":). Thanks for correcting. And yes Loob, you're right, I've just given an example. Now it's all clear for me, thanks to you:). Thank you all for your help!