What does she look like / What is she like

Discussion in 'English Only' started by nicole0087, Sep 16, 2006.

1. nicole0087 Member

Is there any differece between the meaning "What does she look like?" and "What is she like?" How can I answer them?

2. mjscott Senior Member

What is she like can mean both looks and character--whereas What does she look like only means looks.
  3. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

USA, English
    The questions are very different. The second is much broader than the first. The answer to the first might be one, but only one, of the things you mention in reply to the second. (Happily, in practice, the possible replies to the second will often be narrowed by the context of the conversation.)

4. Hello Nicole0087.

Yes, there is a difference.

"What does she look like?" refers to her physical characteristics. She may be pretty, have brown hair, a nice smile. be slim, tall, short, etc. etc.

"What is she like?" can still refer to the above but, more usually, asks about her character and personality. She might be friendly, talkative, shy, kind-hearted, etc.

Hope this helps.:)

5. nicole0087 Member

Thank you all !
    You really help me a lot !:)
  6. Arai Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
    Hello everyone,

I have a question: Could you say "What do his eyes/lips/etc look like?" or just "How are his eyes?"

7. nicole0087 Member

Hello, Arai
    I think "What do his eyes/lips/etc look like?" is correct. The other one sounds a little strange.
  8. Arai Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
  9. sergiofreeman

sergiofreeman Senior Member

Miami Florida
    Hi Again!

Making a search I hit with this post, I would like a native's reply to Arai's question.

Thanks in advance.
  10. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

USA, English
    I agree with nicole0087's response. You could also say, "how do his eyes look?", but that would typically be asking if there was anything wrong with them.
  11. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

"How are his eyes?" would mean, to me, how well are his eyes functioning.

I suppose you could say, "What do her eyes/lips look like?" but I think I would tend to say "What kind of lips/eyes does she have?"
  12. gckkk Member

What do his eyes look like means the shape,color etc. ex: his eyes look like the eyes of a loris.
    How are his eyes? after an eye disease or any other problem you could ask this question.
  13. dadane Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (London/Essex)
    This is generally the case but, as usual, much depends on context.

As a counter-example, consider this hypothetical conversation between two women:

"Have you seen the new window cleaner"?
    "He looks a bit of a hunk, nice bum, I haven't seen him up close though".
    "Oh, I have"!
    "Really, how are his eyes"?

Edit. The real meaning of the last question is "Are his eyes as attractive as his bum is"?, but in fewer words.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013