What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Rickd, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Rickd New Member

Swedish English
    I wanna know who you translate: What dosen't kill you makes you stronger, to latin!

Regards
    Rick

2. Sandhinet Junior Member

Monza
    Italiano
    Hello.
    Here is my attempt:

Quod non necat, fortiorem efficit.

Or, as a longer alternative:

Quodcumque non necat, fortiorem efficit.

I don't recommend expressing that double "you", but this is just my preference.

3. Rickd New Member

Swedish English
    Thanks!
    Alright how come?
    I know all languages dosent use the same terms and all that.. but if you say it and even read it, what is the most correct of thoes too?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
  4. Sandhinet Junior Member

Monza
    Italiano
    Hello.
    You can choose as you prefer: both are correct, in my opinion.

Since latin likes shorter sentences, I'd prefer the shorter.

I am sure others would translate in different manners, however.
    Don't hurry, if you can wait more suggestions.

5. XiaoRoel

XiaoRoel Senior Member

Vigo (Galiza)
    galego, español
    Con facio y compuestos se debe poner un OD y no sólo el predicativo ya que son transitivos puros (necesitan SUJ y OD). En esta frase sería: quod non interficit, fortiores omnes facit (efficit).
    En neco hay una idea de crueldad, de efusión de sangre, que no veo en esta oración que equivale al dicho español "lo que no mata, engorda", de ahí el uso del general interficio. También uso el simple facio, por elección estilística.

6. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    An English version of the above post:
    With facio and its compounds, there ought to be a direct object, and not the predicate alone, because they are true transitives (they require subjects and direct objects). In this sentence, that would be: quod non interficit, fortiores omnes facit (efficit).

In neco there is an idea of cruelty, of an outpouring of blood that I don't see in this sentence, which is equivalent to the Spanish "What doesn't kill, fattens." Thus, the use of the general interficio. Also, I use the simple facio, as a stylistic choice.
    (I trust that if anyone sees any errors in this translation, they will point them out.)

We do have a previous thread What does not kill us will make us stronger.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010