1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

what is a quarter measure?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by newname, Sep 23, 2011.

1. newname Senior Member

Vietnamese
    Hi,
    The context is a man teaching you how to make a margarita (a type of cocktail). He says:
    'Pour in a quarter measure of triple sec.'

I don't know whether it is a specialized term in cocktail making or he is wrong or careless and should have used 'a quarter of a measure of triple sec'

Thank you.

2. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    For me, it's just another way of saying 'a quarter of a measure'. Even if someone were to think it wrong or careless, the meaning is clear from the context. A native speaker would have no problem understanding it. :)

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    It's the same construction as:
    Pour in a half gallon of tequila.
    Pour in half a gallon of tequila.

Pour in a half of a gallon of tequila.
    (This mirrors your suggestion and is the most awkward of the lot -- although "a quarter of a measure" sounds better than this.)

4. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    The measure in question is probably the jigger:

"a measure used in mixing drinks that usually holds 1 to 2 ounces (30 to 60 milliliters)"

5. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    The suggestion is that the speaker has some measure, probably a small metal container, to which he is clearly referring. If not, the fact that all the ingredients are expressed as fractions of whatever measure you are using will make the proportions the same.

6. newname Senior Member

Vietnamese
    Thank you all for your help,

Before this 'quarter measure', there's this instruction that reads, 'Pour in one measure of tequila'. Maybe, exgerman is right about a measure being a jigger. I hope that this extra information will help you help me more.

Thank you.

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    A measure and a jigger are the same in this context. I don't think any more help is required, however. The actual measurement doesn't affect the question: a quarter measure/jigger/pint/gallon/barrel. They're all the same in terms of using "Pour in a quarter [whatever]."

8. newname Senior Member

Vietnamese
    I have got it. Many thanks.