What is it G2P1 in medical field?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Camlearner, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Camlearner Senior Member

Khmer
  2. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    In the context of obstetrics, GxPy (where x and y are numbers) means Gravita x, Para y.
    Gravita refers to pregancies and para to births, so GxPy means x pregnancies and y births.

G2P1 means two pregancies, one birth.

It is an accepted abbreviation in medical records and writing.

:)idea: You can often find the answer to this sort of thing by using your favorite search engine. ;))

3. Camlearner Senior Member

Khmer
  4. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    It means that for some reason (including induced termination/abortion) one pregnancy did not result in a birth.

5. Camlearner Senior Member

Khmer
    Yes so one fetus died yes! Thank you Nunty.

6. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    I disagree with Nunty. As we always say here, context is everything. In this particular example, the woman has NOT lost a baby. She's "at 18 weeks' gestation"; she's pregnant now. THIS pregnancy is the second "G", and she's had one live birth before (the P1).

Edit: transatlantic psychic connection with Andygc confirmed!

7. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    No it didn't. She is G2 P1 at 18 weeks. The 1st pregnancy resulted in her first delivery. Her second pregnancy is the one she is having now, currently at 18 weeks. If she had lost a previous foetus she would be G3 P1.

PS - ahh, there's an echo round here

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  8. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    I agree with those who disagreed with me. I committed the cardinal sin of ignoring the context. :eek:

Yes. She is 18 weeks into her second pregnancy, having already given birth to one child.

(The definition of G2P1 is the same. It is the next part of the sentence that changes the interpretation.)

9. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    At least one child, even "Octomom" is 6G, 6P regardless the fact that she has fourteen children. The P doesn't denote how many child/ren each pregnancy produced.

10. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Here, I've always heard/seen gravida, not "gravita".

11. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Indeed, I missed Nunty's typo.