1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

What is the adj. for having good memory?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vido, Feb 15, 2009.

1. vido Senior Member

Is there a adjective to describe someone that has very good memory? The opposite is "oblivious"--"he is very oblivious".

What if he has good memory? "He is ______"?

One possible context is when you say to someone: "Hey, you should not forget other people's help to you! Be _____ about/of what others have done for you. Don't be so oblivious!"

2. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    I would say mindful in your second sentence, which doesn't mean the person has a great memory. It means the person pays attention to and recognizes others for their help/input/etc. Cognizant is similar in meaning. Oh, and I'd use 'of' with both.

3. vido Senior Member

Thanks! But what about having good memory? Is there an adjective for that?

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    "Oblivious" does not mean "having a faulty memory". Instead, it means "lacking conscious awareness."

Because we had never travelled on the Niagara River before, we were oblivious of the danger of the waterfall ahead.

5. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    As GWB says, what you are asking for and what works in your sentence are two different things. If you want to be specific about memory, you could say "He has an eidetic memory" or "He has a photographic memory".

6. vido Senior Member

Still, no adjective?:rolleyes:

7. Passau

Passau Junior Member

English (CaE/AmE)
    Retentive, perhaps.

Passau

8. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

I don't think there is such an adjective in English. If I say: He is retentive, very few people will think I mean he has a good memory. We can of course say: He has a retentive memory. There is a word in Finnish, which, if translated word for word, would give us good-memoried, but even though English is flexible, it's not flexible enough for that word, I think! :)

This is a pity since there are many structurally similar words: long-haired, short-legged, blue-eyed etc.

9. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    There is an idiom elephants never forget, so you could say he is elephant-like in his powers of recall.