1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

what is the meaning of "aut" in this sentence

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by melonidas, Jan 27, 2013.

1. melonidas Junior Member

spanish
    Hello buddies,

In triginta cum pugnatoribus, quindecim milia hostium aut occidit aut capit, militem
    suum ingenti praeda ditat, i am not sure what is the function of "aut"; nevertheless, this is the traduction i obtain: With thirty fighters, Amelio fell against fifteen thousands of enemies, enriches his army with the enormous plunder

Thank you :)

2. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)

It is still the same text:

Aemilius consul CIV naves hostium demersit, XXX cum pugnatoribus cepit; XV millia hostium aut occidit aut cepit; militem suum ingenti praeda ditavit.

Want to try again?

3. melonidas Junior Member

spanish
    But the text I have is different from the one you are showing: Aemilius consul centum et quattuor naves hostium demergit,

triginta cum pugnatoribus capit, quindecim milia hostium aut occidit aut capit, militem

suum ingenti praeda ditat.

4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Your text is the same, except that the numbers are spelt out, and the tense of the verbs is different.

Now try to translate either one of them, respecting the case of all the nouns. Hint: "XXX" goes with "naves"; "aut ... aut" means "either .... or".

5. melonidas Junior Member

spanish
    Does this translation look better?

Amelius the consul sinked one hundred and four enemy ships, finished thirty ships with fighters, either finishes with fifteen innumerable enemies or falls, enriches his army with enormous plunder

6. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    What did I say about a translation having to make sense?

7. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Try this one again: quindecim milia hostium aut occidit aut capit,

aut occidit aut capit
    should be translated as a unit.

occidit
    and capit are transitive verbs that take an accusative object. What is the object?

Here are the usual English translations for these words when they appear in this sort of context.
    occido, occidere, cut down, kill, slay.
    capio, capere, take, capture, seize.

(It's possible that you understand the Latin correctly, but it's only the English translation that makes it seem that you have a problem. If that is the case, I apologize.)

8. melonidas Junior Member

spanish
    this is my new attempt
    quindecim milia hostium aut occidit aut capit

Either kills or captures fifteen thousand enemies

quindecim: [indeclinable] case: don't know
    milia: ac.pl neuter 2nd declension Direct object
    hostium: gen. pl 3rd declension [hostis-is] Name affix

9. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    That looks good to me. :)

(Yes, saying that quindecim is indeclinable is probably enough.)

You want to make the verb tense consistent in the rest of your translation. If you are translating your text, all the the verbs should be in the present: sinks; captures thirty ships.

Do you feel you understand the sentence now?