What language is this?

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by cire4, Mar 25, 2013.

1. cire4 New Member

English
    Hi everybody,

Long time lurker, first-time poster. To make a long story short, I found this really old postcard and am having trouble identifying what language it is written in. I am guessing that it is an archaic form of a Romance language but I can't for the life of me determine which language it is exactly. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I think it is Lithuanian with mistakes, or written the old way. When was it written? Nothing special, just asking how the things are. The name of the man is Stasius. He asks them to reply. There is also a female name on the other side Bernadette -- Bernadisiute, I think.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. cire4 New Member

English
    Thanks Liliana! I was starting to supsect it was a Slavic-Baltic Language. The postcard looks quite old...The image on the front is clearly from the 19th century so your explanation is probably the correct one.

4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, it is definitely a Baltic language -- and more precisely Lithuanian, but there are either some mistakes, or this is the way some people used to write in it many years ago. Some words look different, but it is Lithuanian. Latvian is different, and the names are typically Lithuanian as well. Slavic languages are not very similar to Baltic, at least on the surface.

5. neonrider Junior Member

Vilnius (Lazdynai)
    Lithuanian / Lietúvüü
    Lithuanian needs to rework it's writing system. I noticed how people react to different writing system and letters. For instance Germans are so proud of their umlauts, same as Finns, and so on. Why did Germans choose to write "sh" as "sch" and not as Eastern European "sh" (which includes the Finno-Ugrians), except Hungarians who simplified and write "s" but then their "s" is "sz". Still, no "hooks or birds" on top or bottom of letters. There apparently seem to be attractive and ugly letters around. It may sound terrible, but it is true.