What should I say to a person who is getting married

Discussion in 'English Only' started by nasridine, Jan 31, 2006.

1. nasridine Senior Member

USA
    Chinese, China
    What kind of congratulation can I say to a person who will be married soon? Besides, if I am present at their wedding, what should I say to them?

2. KittyCatty

KittyCatty Senior Member

Cambridge
    English UK
    "Congratulations!" would work. You could also say to them "I hope you have a long and happy marriage" or "Have a long and happy future together"

3. nasridine Senior Member

USA
    Chinese, China
    Can I say like "Happy marriage" or something. Silly question, but I really wanna know. Thanks

4. SavedByGrace14 New Member

United States
    English, U.S.A
    You could say "Have a happy marriage".

5. KittyCatty

KittyCatty Senior Member

Cambridge
    English UK
    "Happy Marriage" would not stand on its own as a phrase you could use, but you could say "I wish you a happy marriage", "Congratulations on your wedding (or marriage)" or "Best wishes for your marriage". We don't say 'Happy Marriage' as you would say 'Happy Birthday', for example.

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    No, it would sound very odd. Also, do not say, "My most heartfelt condolences!"

Congratulations! is just fine. Also, "I wish both of you much happiness together."

7. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    It wasn't too long ago that social propriety dictated that one was to "Congratulate" the groom (for supposedly landing himself a most beautiful - or wealthy - bride). Brides were to be greeted with a "Best Wishes" (I guess since they'd have to put up with their husbands?)

Of course, today, I believe it's appropriate to say things such as "I wish you much happiness," and other things as have already been suggested.

8. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    You may also consider: GO BACK! IT'S A TRAP!

;-)

A more serious suggestion:

I wish you both the best of luck and success together.

9. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Congratulations! I wish you many decades of wedded bliss.

Congrats and all the very best!

10. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Of course, in today's day and age, you might be just as well of to offer: "Hope you got a good pre-nup."

runs away to hide now...:)

11. AMB49062

AMB49062 Banned

United States
    United States, English
    Tell them congradulations, or congrats. Tell them how excited you are that they are getting married. Tell them that they are meant to be together. Also Don't forget to tell Wish them a happy life together. Hug them, and kiss them on the cheek. Just let them know that you are so excited for them, and you love them. Etc. Just talk mushy. I'll get down to it. I hope this helps!

:D
    Pebbles

12. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    congratulations!:tick:

13. jmwade1 New Member

English
    "Don't do it", would probably help.

14. nasridine Senior Member

USA
    Chinese, China
    Thanks, but one small question here. What does "talk mushy" mean?

15. JediMaster Senior Member

USA
    English, United States
    :D

It's an informal way of saying "say things that are really sentimental," but the phrase carries a tiny hint of sarcasm as well.

16. richitripathy Banned

English-India
    Tell them "Wish you happy married life" or Congratulations. I hope this will help you:)