What the eyes don't see, the heart doesn't feel

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by jana.bo99, Jul 30, 2013.

1. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Cro, Slo
    It is something like: what I don't see, I don't believe and also my heart doesn't feel.

Kar oči ne vidijo, srce ne čuti

Ono što oči ne vide, srce ne osjeća (there is other way, where heart feels - srce osjeća)

Was die Augen nicht sehen, kann das Herz nicht fühlen

Do you have something like this proverb and how do you say in your language?

Thank you,
  2. arielipi Senior Member

רחוק מן העין רחוק מן הלב rakhok min ha'ayin rakhok min halev - far from the eye far from the heart.
  3. Lurrezko

Lurrezko Senior Member

Junto al mar
    Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    In Spanish it's a well-known saying: Ojos que no ven, corazón que no siente.

Un saludo
  4. ilocas2 Senior Member

Co oči nevidí, srdce nebolí. - What eyes don't see, doesn't ache heart.

(I don't know if it's correct in English)
  5. ancalimon Senior Member

Two different ones for two different situations in Turkish.

Gözüyle görmeden inanmamak : To not believe unless seen with the eyes.

Gözden ırak olan gönülden de ırak olur : The one that's secluded from the eye is also secluded from the heart.
  6. Ёж! Senior Member

Russian: с глаз долой — из сердца вон (out of sight, out of heart). This is about how people forgive things, people, and experiences related to the things and people, either positive or negative. Its meaning is like the Cretan proverb's below, its general use is about forgetful lovers.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  7. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

We have something similar in Greek but with different meaning; it's a verse from a traditional Cretan folk song, so I'll give it in the Cretan regiolect:
    «Μάθια απού δε βλέπονται, γλήγορα λησμονιούνται» ['maθʝa a'pu ðe 'vleponde 'ɣliɣora lismo'ɲunde] --> eyes that are not seen, are quickly forgotten (which implies that you will forget about people who have moved away, usually said for lovers who live apart and haven't seen each other for a period of time).

Now, if one doesn't believe the thing/situation under discussion, unless s/he sees it, we use the biblical:
    «Αν δεν βάλω τον δάκτυλον εις των τύπων των ήλων, δεν πιστεύω» [an ðen 'valo ton 'ðaktilon is ton 'tipon ton 'ilon ðen pi'stevo] --> Unless I put my finger into the print of the nails, I don'τ believe, a phrase taken from the Christian gospel according to John (20:25): «ὁ δὲ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς· ἐὰν μὴ ἴδω ἐν ταῖς χερσὶν αὐτοῦ τὸν τύπον τῶν ἥλων, καὶ βάλω τὸν δάκτυλόν μου εἰς τὸν τύπον τῶν ἥλων, καὶ βάλω τὴν χεῖρά μου εἰς τὴν πλευρὰν αὐτοῦ, οὐ μὴ πιστεύσω» - "So he (=the doubting Thomas) said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.” (NKJV)
  8. bibax Senior Member

In Czech it is:

Sejde z očí, sejde z mysli. = Departed from the eyes, departed from mind.

However it means something else than "Co oči nevidí, to srdce nebolí" (= What the eyes don't see, the heart doesn't feel) which means "you cannot long for something that you haven't seen".
  9. Ёж! Senior Member

I think we don't have such.
  10. oveka Senior Member

Ukraine, Ukrainian
    як з очей, так і з думки = both from eyes and from an idea
    чого очі не бачать, того серцю не жаль = whatever eyes see, that not pitifully a heart
    зникне з очей, зійде з думки (з мислі, з гадки) = off will disappear from eyes, will get off from an idea (from ?, from an ?)
    минулося – забулося = passed – dropped
  11. ahmedcowon Senior Member

The same in Arabic:
    البعيد عن العين بعيد عن القلب al-ba3eed 3an el-3ayn ba3eed 3an el-qalb
  12. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: Pag di nakilala ay di nga nadarama. I like the Greek version"Those that are not seen are quickly forgotten" and here is the Tagalog version " Ang di makita ng mata ay kaydali ngang limutin".
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: uit het oog [eye], uit het hart [heart]. [I do wonder whether this is an equivalent of the one in jana.bo's question though. Is it?]
  14. bibax Senior Member

IMHO there is a difference.

1) Out of sight, out of mind.
    If you do not see someone or something frequently, you will forget about it. (Sometimes used to imply that you will forget about people who have moved away.) 

"Ever since I moved, none of my old friends have gotten in touch with me. It's out of sight, out of mind with them, evidently."

2) What the eyes don't see, the heart doesn't feel.
    You cannot long for or hate something that you have never seen.

What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over.

You cannot be upset by something you do not know about.

"When Robbie cracked his mother's favorite vase, he simply turned the cracked side toward the wall. "What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over," he thought."
  15. Ёж! Senior Member

Sure, there is. I meant we don't have the second expression in Russian.
  16. luitzen Senior Member

Frisian, Dutch and Low Saxon
    Uit het oog, uit het hart is similar in meaning to English Out of sight, out of mind. We also have the expression wat niet weet, wat niet deert, meaning what one doesn't know about won't hurt someone. E.g. Vertel je broer niet dat je zijn fiets leent; wat niet weet, wat niet deert. (Don't tell your brother you're borrowing his bike; if he doesn't know about it, he won't care about it).
  17. englishnoob New Member

Jakarta, Indonesia

"Dalam laut bisa diduga, dalam hati siapa tahu" = In the sea might be expected, in the heart who know. (Meaning of proverbs in the ocean might be expected, in the future who knows is the contents of one's heart could not have guessed.)

"Ikut hati mati, ikut rasa binasa" = Take Part of the dead hearts, taste come perish. (those who only indulge conscience without using reasonable minds he will fail in his life; perish.)
    I hope that would be correct translate in english at the Proverbs in Indonesian language

Best Regards,
    EnglishNoob :)
  18. Euganeo New Member

In Italian we have two forms:

Occhio non vede, cuore non duole (Eye not seeing, heart not hurting)

Lontano dagli occhi, lontano dal cuore (Far away from the eyes, far away from the heart)

19. J.F. de TROYES Senior Member

The saying is exactly the same in French : Loin des yeux, loin du coeur. So in several languages as in Dutch, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, the same concise phrase is used.
  20. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Still, I think, two meanings are mixed up here, but I may be mistaken:
    - the original meaning seems to be: what one doesn't see, cannot affect you (does not refer to the past)
    - the other meaning, with regard to people: out of sight, out of mind (referring to the past)

I think the Dutch wat niet weet, niet deert renders the original meaning almost perfectly : that which does not know, does not hurt (or affect anyone).