1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

What were the lighting conditions at the moment?

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by beya, May 9, 2009.

1. beya

beya Senior Member

Colombia-Spanish
    Hi,

This is a common trial question:

what were the lighting conditions at the moment?

my translation would be something like:

Cuales eran las condiciones de iluminacion en ese momento?

Please send me your suggestions, thank you.

2. Perrito

Perrito Senior Member

Estats Units
    Estats Units, anglès
    Hello,

I was also looking for the same thing in for a trial. I think that iluminación might only apply to "human-made lighting" like lamps or light from lightbulbs. Then, it may work, but if it's just talking about in general like natural light, maybe it'd be better to say just "luz."

Example: ¿Cuáles eran las condiciones de luz en ese momento?

Gracias y espero que alguien más desee aportar algo a esta entrada antigua.

Greg

3. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    Just a clarification here --

I would also like to point out that the original English is odd. If the question is in past tense, the correct phrasing should be "What were the lighting conditions at THAT moment."

"At the moment", alone, means "NOW."
    "At the moment that the accident happened." would allow "at the moment" to indicate a past time.

4. JGCuadra Senior Member

Nicaragua
    Latinamerican Spanish
    condiciones relevantes? condiciones indicativas? No es una tradución literal

5. JGCuadra Senior Member

Nicaragua
    Latinamerican Spanish
    condiciones relevantes? condiciones indicativas? condiciones pertinentes? No es una tradución literal... en ocasiones debemos interpretar...

6. beya

beya Senior Member

Colombia-Spanish
    Gracias por tu aporte. Me gusta ' condiciones de luz'

7. David Senior Member

"Condiciones de luz" sounds like Spanglish to me. What is wrong with the original suggestion, which is literal and accurate, except for puntuación and a few acentos gráficos?: "¿Cuáles eran las condiciones de iluminación en ese momento?"

As for post #3, "at the moment," as used in the original text, is as close to standard English as one could get. "At the moment, were you scared to propose marriage, or did the panic attack hit you later, after she said 'yes'?