1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

What writing system is this?

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Serena96, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Serena96 Junior Member

Italy
    Italian
  2. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    I'm guessing Devanagari.

3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I do not know what this is supposed to be, but it is definitely not devanagari.

4. Learner19 New Member

Chinese
  5. Serena96 Junior Member

Italy
    Italian
    I thought it was related to hebrew as well :) Not exactly the same thing, though.

6. utopia Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    It's certainly not Hebrew.

7. 13partners23

13partners23 Senior Member

Queens, NY
    Inglés
    I love a good challenge like this. Just as my eyes became so blurry that I was going to give up, I came upon the Coorgi-Cox alphabet. What do you guys think?

8. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Cree perhaps?

9. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    I think not. I couldn't find any corresponding characters.

But the suggestion of Cree looks promising: there seems to be quite some similarity to some of the characters in the Cree syllabaries, allowing for handwriting variations.

Any Cree speakers out there?

Ws:)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Believe me, I would know it if it were Hebrew... One thing to know about Hebrew, the letters are never connected there.

11. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    To me it looks like Arabic, but arabic people have seen it before. maybe its something more ancient than a now-a-days colloquial writing?

12. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Serena, can you tell us where you copied this from? Could that give us any clues?

13. Ihsiin

Ihsiin Senior Member

England
    English
    My first impression was Aramaic, but on closer inspection I'm fairly sure it's not any Semitic script. It seems to be written from left to right for a start.
    Then I thought maybe some kind of Chinese derived script, but there seem to be some joined up characters, which I believe tends not to happen.
    My last guess would probably be perhaps an Indian script, but fdb has already told us it's certainly not Devanagari, which takes the wind out of my sails a little.
    Are you sure this isn't just made up? It seems to be written very precisely on square paper.

14. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Could it be upside-down?

15. Serena96 Junior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Of course it's not modern hebrew but to be honest I can see a lot of similarities with some hebrew letters (ך ,ן ,א ,ב) even if the letter are joint together, which doesn't happen in hebrew.

I don't think I could give so much hints... I found it as graffiti.

I am not a Hip Hop culture expert, but could it be that some groups of graffiti writers developed a constructed writing script? :/ I really don't know

I copied it from left to right. But I suspect that the original version was written right to left...

16. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Graffiti? ... Where? ... On what? ... Recent?

I agree that some individual characters bear similarities to certain forms of Hebrew, but others don't. Some of the diacritics (if that's what they are) resemble Hebrew niqqud, but others don't. There's even a pretty good Hiragana "chi" in there, and something close to a Katakana "tsu", but the overall script doesn't look in any way Japanese. The mystery continues ...

17. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    I could very well see hebrew characters and niqqud on there, including gershayim ( like having ,,+" combined) but nothing that made sense;
    Could it be a collaboration of the both?

Also, some of the chars there look like numbers, 5, 4, 6.

18. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

The ones that look like 5 (at least a couple of them, since they vary a bit) are what I saw as a Hiragana "chi":

19. Serena96 Junior Member

Italy
    Italian
    I can also see a "shi" シ :/ I start developing the feeling that this is just art without any meaning...

20. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

I saw that too, though the two pecks slope the opposite way.

I'm still curious to know where you saw this, Serena: what country, what setting ...?

Ws
    :)

21. xBlackWolfx Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    USA English
    I think I recall seeing a conscript (made-up writing system) like this on omniglot.com once. Sadly though, the site appears to be down so I can't look it up for you.

22. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Dont you guys read what he said? he copied the text, it can be written in any direction. -.-

23. Serena96 Junior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Yeah, it's correct. I already pointed this out. I copied it from the left but when I did it, I felt like it was less comfortable to write left-to-right. So, I suspected that it was originally meant to be written right-to-left.

24. Stoggler

Stoggler Senior Member

Kingdom of Sussex
    UK English
    Omniglot seems to be up and running again now.

The nearest conscript I've found on Omniglot so far is Aceri Halit, which does look similar but I don't think it is that.

I can't help thinking that someone has come up with their own conscript along similar lines. There do appear to be characters or letters taken from other scripts - are those characters/letters clues to how to decipher this?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  25. xBlackWolfx Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    USA English
    I was thinking the same thing.

It wouldn't really be all that hard to make either.

26. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

27. Serena96 Junior Member

Italy
    Italian
    I saw it on a wall. Sorry, I would like not to give you any information about what city I live in...

28. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

OK Serena, your prerogative. Non c'è problema.

Ws
    :)

29. unfacedman New Member

Russian, Hebrew
    Letters look like Syriac. But badly copied so the text cannot be read.