whatever else

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by BlueWaffles, Jul 23, 2012.

1. BlueWaffles Member

για σας
    I'm translating a monstrosity of a sentence: "she drives around all day worrying about the dishwasher, o her son's new shoes, or about anything she could use to keep her awake at night."

οδιγά ολιμερίς σε όλι και ανυσηχά για το πλυντήριο πιάτων, και για τα νέα παπούτσια του νέους της, και για όλι, ότι μβουρόυσε να χρησημοποίησε για να μείνε ξυπνιά στην νύχτα.

I'm quite uncertain about the conjunctions and the tenses.

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR

if I have understood well the sentence in English:

Οδηγά όλη μέρα (or ολημερίς) εδώ κι εκεί ανησυχώντας για το πλυντήριο πιάτων ή (o=or?) για τα καινούργια παπούτσια του γιου της, ή θα μπορούσε να κάνει (να χρησιμοποιήσει is not good) οτιδήποτε για να την κρατά (or για να μένει) ξύπνια τη νύχτα.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  3. Andrious Senior Member

By the way, "Hi everyone" is «Γεια σας», not «Για σας».
  4. Αγγελος Senior Member

Not to be rude, but you should be uncertain about a lot more than just the conjunctions and the tenses.
    I would say "Τρέχει όλη μέρα εδώ κι εκεί με το αυτοκίνητο, ανησυχώντας για το πλυντήριο των πιάτων ή για τα καινούργια παπούτσια του γιου της ή για οτιδήποτε άλλο βρει που να μην την αφήνει να κοιμηθεί τη νύχτα."
  5. Hi,
    Two questions for the native speakers:

1. Could 'κυκλοφορεί όλη μέρα' be used for 'she drives around all day'? I'm thinking about that probably because it involves a 'circle' and it says 'drives around' :)

2. Would it be possible to say 'για να μη νυστάζει τη νύχτα' for 'to keep her awake at night'?

6. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Both are perfect with one note: "κυκλοφορώ" can be used when someone drives a car, moves by a vehicle or walks; also, when using that verb, we don't necessarily have the circle in mind. :)
  7. elliest_5 Senior Member

Hi, in this example, it's a matter of context: if the sentence was "ήπιε καφέ για να μη νυστάζει τη νύχτα" "she drank coffee so as not to be sleepy at night", then the "να μη νυστάζει" bit could be considered equivalent to "keep her awake".

However, in the OP's context (where the person is staying up all night because of worrying) "για να μη νυστάζει" is not a good match, because it doesn't have the connotation of not being able to sleep (being kept awake or having insomnia).