1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Luzdivina New Member

usa. english
    Can someone translate the word "Papito" into english please..

2. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi Luzdivina.
    "Papito" literally means "little daddy"... and is often used as a term of endearment for a special man/boy in your life.

Saludos,
    LN

3. asm Senior Member

New England, USA
    Mexico, Spanish
    Daddy
    Papa = dad, padre = father (sorry, papa has a tilde -accent in the second a, but I cannot type it)

Almost anything with the end "ito" /"ita" is a diminutive. Mama -- mamita (mom). Similar to "little" or small.

4. Neilito

Neilito Senior Member

Canary Is., Spain
    Ireland/English
    Hi Luzdivino,

Could you please give us more information, especially on the context in which you have found this word? The Forum FAQ stresses the importance of context for getting an accurate response.

For example: It can mean Daddy (child to father) in most contexts, or darling (girlfriend to boyfriend), especially in latin american contexts.

5. Neilito

Neilito Senior Member

Canary Is., Spain
    Ireland/English
    Laura, is there a difference in meaning between:

papa-ito (i.e. is this always a baby-talk thing?)

and papito (i.e. is this always a girlfriend thing? :eek:

would appreciate your opinion

6. Luzdivina New Member

usa. english
    Yes is like a baby talk. And yeah is like mostly a girl's thing.

7. Luzdivina New Member

usa. english
    Thank you all for helping me.:D *hugs*

8. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    We don't use "papa-ito" around these parts, but the word is not at all foreign to me. :)

As a widespread term of endearment, Papito can be easily used to designate BOTH "daddy/beloved father figure" or "sweetheart/male love interest".... whereas "papaíto" (in some parts of the Spanish-speaking world) is mostly reserved for the father figure and is usually uttered by a young child --you won't hear any teenager, 20-something or adult refer to his father as "papaíto"!!! Well, there are always exceptions to the rule and one should never say "never"... but you know what I mean. :D

Saludos, Neilito.
    LN

9. lizy Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    In Spain, you say "papá", "papi" or "papaíto" to your father, but never (though as LN says one should never say never) to a boyfriend.

10. mihabana Senior Member

Oregon/Washington Border
    Cuba - Espanol
    Nickname too [Cuba]. I've been called Papito by family and friends since I was a child. Papito this, Papito that. Hey Papito how's it going! I'm 38. Some family call me "Jesusito" still instead of Jesus. Irrelevant I know... :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013