What's the difference between" больше " and " более "

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by thedriver51, Jan 18, 2013.

1. thedriver51 Junior Member

Arabic
    i know both of them means " more than " but i don't know when i should use one of them for the right meaning .
    one last thing what this means when a girl calls a man " он альфонс" i know it means he is gigolo but when they are in relationship then she tells me that " он альфонс ",what this means ?

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Больше and более are synomyms when mean exceeding of the said quantity or in the sense of "any more":
    Ему больше/более 25 лет.
    Я больше/более вас не задерживаю, можете идти.
    However более is bookish and outdated when used in these senses.

Only более is used for comparative degree of the adjectives:
    Вася более опытный чем Петя.

Only больше is used when mean "mostly":
    В лесу нам встречались все больше ели да сосны.

Actually you should open a separate thread for each question. As an exception, it means he is living on her account, which is the only motive for their relationship.

3. thedriver51 Junior Member

Arabic
    Thanks but if i want to say more than 3 years .what should i use and why
    больше 3 года или более 3 года

4. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    As already said, both are correct, but более is bookish or outdated.

5. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    What could you say about math expressions? I would give a really odd look if someone had pronounced "5 > 3" as "пять более трёх".

Edit:
    "Вася более опытный, чем Петя" sounds perfect. However, if I had to say "У Васи больше опыта, чем у Пети", then I would hardly ever consider using "более". For some reason it would not sound natural here.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  6. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Isn't it exactly what I wrote? Более in such cases is bookish or outdated, cf.:
    У меня опыта поболе твоего будет.

Пять более трех и менее семи is gramatically correct, but sounds archaic, as from the Magntitskiy's Arithmatic.

7. dePrades Senior Member

Catalan and Spanish - Catalonia
  8. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Well, you did say that they are synonyms if used in the context of exceeding some quantity. So I thought that the word "synonym" implies interchangeability. Which seems odd because "более" sounds almost illiterate in the math context.

9. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    There are no absolute synonyms. These two words mean the same, but differ stylistically, that's what I meant and what the dictionaries say.