What's the meaning of "approach"?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ljswj, Jul 2, 2006.

1. ljswj Junior Member

I hope someone could tell me the exact meaning of the word "approach" in the follwing sentence?
    Your opinion will be appreciated!

2. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    It means approach as in "draw near to" something dangerous or significant.

It also means "a way of going about something" such as your approach to making small talk.

In this case, it carries a the first meaning, yet also suggests a little of the second as well.
  3. quest42good New Member

Armenian - Armenia; Russian
    My opinion is that "approach" is closer in meaning to "treat" in this context. If you look up the word at Merriam-Webster online, it would be the meaning 2b: "to take preliminary steps toward accomplishment or full knowledge or experience of <approach the subject with an open mind>.
  4. Qiu New Member

It can also mean to "start" or "begin".
    For example: Wake up and begin your day with a smile before breakfast. A formal or creative way to say it would be; Wake up and approach the day with a smile.....
  5. WorldSearcher New Member

Bolivia (Spanish)
    Rather, I think it refers to "deal with" each day, just like approaching a new task, a problem, etc. In fact, deal with is the way approach is mainly used. So, the phrase would read this way: "As we grow older, need to deal with each day with a child's trust and innocence". In this phrase, approach means the same as encarar in Spanish.
  6. maxiogee Banned

In this sense I would say it means "prepare to meet" - as a metaphysical simile to the physical meaning of "draw near to".
  7. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    I agree with Maxiogee.
    In this case it means to prepare to meet each day in the same way that a young child approaches each new day.

8. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    Yes, I like Maxiogee's "prepare to meet." Another way to say the same thing is the verb "face."