1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

What's the word for a male "ballerina"?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Rivendell, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Rivendell

Rivendell Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish / Spain
    Hi,

what do you call the classical ballet male dancers??
    Don't you have a special word like 'ballerina' for male dancers?

Thanks and regards.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. KON

KON Senior Member

3. Au101 Senior Member

London
    England, English (UK)
    I, personally, would go with, simply, "ballet dancer". There might be a technical term which I, considering I don't know anything about ballet, don't know, but ballet dancer is a safe option here, I think. Before I had even finised KON did post a technical term. I, for one, wouldn't know that term, so if you're talking to someone who doesn't really know about ballet, it's probably best to go with (male) ballet dancer. If you're talking to someone who does, show-off.

4. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    I´ve seen ballerino, premier danseur, danseur noble and even male dancer used but none sound perfect to me. I like the sound of cavalier but that´s technically the ballerina´s male partner.
    "Cavalier - The male partner of the ballerina"
    http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/index.html

5. Rivendell

Rivendell Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish / Spain
    Thanks for the article KON. However, I don't think the word 'danseur' is used in English, do you??

6. Rivendell

Rivendell Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish / Spain
    Oops!! Lots of answers after KON's!!! :eek:

So, according to you... do you think I should stick to 'dancer'?? I'm just talking about an evening in the ballet where there were wonderful ballerinas but the xxxx were even better.

Maybe I should just say 'but the male dancers were even better'.

What do you suggest??

7. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    I think that would be your safest bet.

8. KON

KON Senior Member

I have absolutely no knowledge about ballet, but I would assume that people in every corner of the world, especially those who watch ballet, go to the operas and those who do ballet, would use the word "danseur" when referring to the male dansers

Consider this, when people go to a french restaurant (in any part of the world) they are not going to call the person who is attending to them "waiter" the'll refer to him as the garçon and the maître for the person who is responsible for everything.

9. Kevin Beach

Kevin Beach Senior Member

In BrE there is nothing but "ballet dancer".

Some ballet fans may want to use a foreign word such as ballerino (shouldn't it be ballero?) or danseur.

If you wanted to compare the male and female dancers, you could say "The ballerinas were great, but the men were even better". It would be understood perfectly because "men" would be read in juxtaposition to "ballerinas".

But then, for some reason British culture seems to regard ballet as a mainly female pursuit anyway (despite the film "Billy Elliott"), so the male dancers are subconsciously seen as adjuncts rather than main players.

10. Rivendell

Rivendell Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish / Spain
    Thanks for your help, folks.

You've helped me a lot.

Cheers!!