1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

When and how to use the prefix "non"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by deslenguada, Dec 12, 2006.

1. deslenguada

deslenguada Senior Member

Spain
    Castellano
    Hello! Can someone explain me the rules the prefix "non" takes, when and how to use it properly? Thank you.

2. Siberia

Siberia Sibermod

UK-Wales - English
  3. fiorilù Senior Member

italy
    italian
    It comes in my mind

"non-woven fabric"
    f

4. rubbershoes

rubbershoes Junior Member

Devon
    English/England
    Non as a prefix is becoming overused and , in my opinion, inappropriately used in English.

For example, announcers on trains will often say that the train will be non-stopping at the next station. What they should say to follow the accepted rules of English is that the train will not be stopping at the next station. It is simply lazy speech habits by them.

Normally the train is stopping at the next station, but for some reason it is not doing so today. It is easier for them to insert the prefix non into the sentence they use every day, rather than reorganise the sentence to make it grammatically correct

But English is constantly evolving and maybe in twenty years time non-stopping will be so widespread that it no longer grates.

5. jabogitlu Senior Member

USA-English
    That must be British usage; rubbershoes. To me (and I'd imagine most Americans) "non-stopping" would be confusing, as we would immediately think of "nonstop" (ie without pause/stop/halt)

6. monachina Senior Member

Seattle
    English USA
    I agree with jabogitlu, I have never heard "non" used this way. The overuse of "non" in AE is a non-issue (this IS a commonly used, though not found in a dictionary, compound term AE speakers use :)). Look up "non-" in an English dictionary for usage information.
    Cheers

7. invisibleu Junior Member

UK English
    I would say not. I'm British and I've never heard "non-stopping" used in that way in my whole life. Maybe it's a local usage where rubbershoes lives.

8. deslenguada

Spain
    Castellano
    May I use it with all the adjetives or nouns that I want?

9. I wouldn't say all the adjectives or nouns you want....

...There are certain negative prefixes, (in-, un-,...) that can be used otherwise. Sometimes these sound much better than non-. Though I can't exactly give you a list of what words sound good or bad. I've heard non-specific,

10. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    This is a :D non-question! It is so broad that almost any answer would be wrong.

11. deslenguada

Spain
    Castellano
    thanks a lot ;)

12. rubbershoes

rubbershoes Junior Member

Devon
    English/England

it's used on the london underground

13. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    NO.
    There are no such rules.

14. invisibleu Junior Member

UK English
    Ah okay, I guess that's why I've never heard it then. Looking in Google, there are only six unique results for "will be non-stopping", and they are all to do with the London Underground :) (in fact, the first result is this thread :D).