when I boil riisihiutale, my sauce pot got burnt

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

I tried to cook riisihiutale on a sauce pot, but somehow I burned the bottom of my sauce pot (I am not sure if this is even a right expression, but the bottom has become completely dark), resulting in a pot which is hard to wash. How could this be expressed?

Yritin tehdä riisihiutaletta kattilalla, mutta pohja poltti, ja se on vaikea tiskata. (?)
  2. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    :tick: "burn" is exactly the right word to use here (I burned the bottom of the pot).

My suggestion for the Finnish sentence:

palaa = "burn", when the subject is burning (e.g., metsä paloi "the forest burned")

polttaa = "burn" when the object of the verb is burning (poltin käteni "I burned my hand")
  3. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

I know precious little about cooking and kitchen terminology, but as a complete layman, I would probably say kattilassa instead of kattilalla and I would prefer sitä on vaikea puhdistaa but I'm not saying se on vaikea puhdistaa is wrong. It does sound odd to my ear but other people's ears may find it OK.

If there is a dish called riisihiutale, tehdä riisihiutaletta is probably correct.

You'll have to wait for better experts' opinions.:D
  4. Spongiformi Senior Member

Riisihiutale is like kaurahiutale, it's an ingredient. Usually it's meant to be used for fast cooking of gruels and porridges, at least in Finland, though I reckon in older rice using countries there might be more imaginative uses for it. They are usually made by a mill and thus bought ready, at least in industrialised countries. So, the dish (end product) shouldn't be riisihiutale.

Yritin keittää riisihiutaleita kattilassa...
    Yritin keittää puuroa/velliä riisihiutaleista kattilassa...