When to use sobie or se?

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Parola0, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Parola0 New Member

Hello :)

This may be a wee bit of a silly question but I am never too sure when to use "se" and "sobie" or do people even use se nowadays?
    An example of what I would say: Ide se zrobic herbate
    myslialam se tak
    poszlam se
  2. DW

DW Banned

As for the "Idę se zrobić herbatę", I think you actually could hear that in households used in spoken language, but you will never ever see this written down as it stands. As far as the "myślałam se tak" and "poszłam se" go, some further context would help, but in most of contexts it'd be consider to be nothing but a barnyard language.
  3. Parola0 New Member

Thank you :)
    If I changes se in each one to sobie would it still make sense?
  4. DW

DW Banned

Not only would it make sense, but it'd also be way more proper and idiomatic.
  5. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    The correct ones are:
    myślałam sobie tak
    poszłam sobie

Note that in many cases "sobie" can be skipped altogether. People use it very often in colloquial spoken Polish. Most frequently it doesn't add any meaning to the verb; it makes the utterance colloquial/familiar; sometimes it also sort of makes the meaning of a verb more emphatic. It is so ingrained is some speaker's way of speaking that they may not even consider it colloquial/familiar in certain contexts. Some samples:
    Poszedł sobie do domu. (colloquial/familiar) = Poszedł do domu.
    Pomyślałam sobie, że pójdziemy do kina. (colloquial/familiar) = Pomyślałam, że pójdziemy do kina.

Both 'se' and 'sobie' can be seen in written language, but usually in texts which are supposed to imitate certain language register. I'd, however, advise against using 'se'. It very often sounds uneducated.

EDIT: With verbs of motion "sobie" can also add the nuance of an indefinite destination:
    Poszedł sobie po południu. vs. Poszedł po południu.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  6. Parola0 New Member

Okay thank you everyone :)
    Makes a lot more sense now
  7. Ben Jamin Senior Member

"Se" is never used in formal language, neither written nor oral. It is about the same register as "I ain't" in English.
  8. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

I'm one of those bad people who do tend to use 'se' every now and then. When? When among people I know well, these are people that won't laugh at my saying so because for them the way we speak is not a mark of education.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    It may be worth mentioning that while in standard Polish the pronoun "se" is considered (very) colloquial, it is a standard part of many local dialects in Poland. I'm fairly sure that, for example, the Silesian and góralski dialects make a daily use of it.
  10. warudemaru New Member

Gůrny Ślůnsk
    Polish (Silesian)
    Moplikiem se jada na szychte ;)